Thread: p4k data corrupted, lost everything in card - then restored - that was stressful!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 p4k data corrupted, lost everything in card - then restored - that was stressful!!! 
    I had a shoot yesterday and today. Seven people (including two that came from other cities just for this) plus me.

I got home, I copied the footage to the SSD in my workstation, then to a secondary hard drive, then to an external hard drive. Then tried to import stuff into Resolve... and it just said the dng files were corrupt. All, except the first few frames of the first clip. In all copies.

Everything was playing fine in the camera, so I put the card there again, but now it could not play, it just offered me the option to format the card (which of course I didn't take).

Looking at the files in the card, it seemed the FAT tables had gone bad: the bits corresponded to the new files (because those first initial frames were from this shoot), but the file names ware the ones from the previous shoot (A017... instead of A018..., and just the same number of frames on each clip). So, it's a card error, created by either the camera (a p4k) or the card (Transcend CFAST 600x). Both had been working great until now.

Looking online I found this bmcuser thread, so I downloaded the trial version of Data Recovery Wizard and it found all the files in the card. I paid ~80eur to get the full version, and it restored all the files. Then I made a tiny python program to put the files in the correct folders, and now I can open everything in Resolve, as if there was never any problem.

I'm posting because I know this will happen to more people. That program worked great for me, and really when you're in that situation, the price sounds super cheap. If you find yourself in that situation, hopefully it will work for you as well (though I'm sure there are different problems than the one I had and this may not work in all cases).

Right now I'm blaming the heat (it was scorching hot under the sun all moring), but I'll have to run a bunch of tests before using this camera and card again...

I'm glad you got your data sorted in the end.

What's your card reader?
    The Lexar CR1 is known to cause issues on card reinsertion and is known to corrupt the file system (or header).
    Haavard Helle

You know that the Transcend 600x has never been on any recommended list and only writes at 160 MB/s?

I use the Transcend reader because I thoght it would be a good match

Yes, the 600x one is not in the recommended list, but it works great for what I need (60fps 4:1 cDNG is the most I've ever needed, and it works great with that --- or it did, until now)

That was tense. Someone should do it as a short. Happy ending.

Thanks for the fix.

If I were you I wouldn’t use the card again.

I had a similar experience with an SD card in a stills camera (shooting video and stills)

I was able to recover the files and put the card back into circulation. Bad idea.

Same thing happened again.

If something like this happens I think it’s best not to risk it. Seems like the media itself is at fault.

JN

^ It's definitely scary. I'll buy another card and use this one as last resort for cases when I'm running out of media. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel H View Post
    ^ It's definitely scary. I'll buy another card and use this one as last resort for cases when I'm running out of media. Thanks.
    Most of the manufactures will offer a replacement in a scenario like this. Have you gone down that path ?

JB

No. I'll write... Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by haavard View Post
    I'm glad you got your data sorted in the end.

What's your card reader?
    The Lexar CR1 is known to cause issues on card reinsertion and is known to corrupt the file system (or header).
    I've encountered issues with card readers too... the Lexar - Bad, a few on the SanDisk. I'm looking for a good CFAST card reader, preferably a multi-card reader as well. Any recommendation?