Thread: I want to downscale 4k to 2k on the fly with an external recorder - but how?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 I want to downscale 4k to 2k on the fly with an external recorder - but how? 
    I use my X-T3 when autofocus is needed (ie. for zooming while recording) - when not, i use my bmpcc.

The reason why i want a recorder is to avoid the H.265 codec and the reason to downscale 4k to 1080p is to optain great IQ and still have "small" file sizes. I know i could just buy a 4k external monitor, but i dont wanna mess around with hundreds of GB in post.

SO i have been thinking about this option:

Video assist 5" + https://www.scandinavianphoto.dk/bla...f5&fo_s=gpladk

Connecting the micro converter with the X-T3 and then connect the converter with the VA, since the VA automaticly downscales the 4k input to 1080p, but only when its through the SDI.
    But will this work - or is there another way?

You can’t just shoot in 1080?

No. The downscaled 1080 is much sharper than the X-T3's 1080, dont know if the color or luma-quality increase though.

You want small file siezes?! Just shoot in braw 12:1!
    It is pretty pretty small. And you can buy 512 SD Cards for 199,- Euros these days.

If you downscale to 1980p .. what format would you prefer? ProRes? It is bigger than braw12:1.

I can confirm that downscaling UHD to HD works well with the Video Assist 5" when I've tried it with other cameras. But I suppose you will have to verify that the X-T3 is outputting a proper 10-bit UHD signal.

rogmag nice to hear! But how do you set it up? Do you have SDI on your camera - because from what i have read, the Video assist doesnt downscale if its through hdmi?

Quote Originally Posted by S_Berger View Post
    You want small file siezes?! Just shoot in braw 12:1!
    It is pretty pretty small. And you can buy 512 SD Cards for 199,- Euros these days.

If you downscale to 1980p .. what format would you prefer? ProRes? It is bigger than braw12:1.
    Your absolutely right, S_Berger. But for that i need the Pocket 4k or the ursa mini pro (which i have considered, but i havent got the money for it). And on the X-T3 i have autofocus, which is a huge help for me, since im both the cinematographer and director in many cases, and the crazy-good autofocus in xt3 lets me focus more on different things than focusing

What lenses are you using? Manual focusing becomes very natural and easy with lenses that have a good throw.

Be aware that the video assist will record whatever signal is coming from the camera without filtering, so if the camera is outputting any little overlays that you can't get rid of (like panasonic), they will be on the footage.

Quote Originally Posted by jalokin98 View Post
    rogmag nice to hear! But how do you set it up? Do you have SDI on your camera - because from what i have read, the Video assist doesnt downscale if its through hdmi?
    This was with an SDI output on the camera, yes. The HDMI input on the Video Assist 5" doesn't accept UHD at all.

The Convergent Design Odyssey 7Q does exactly what you’re describing. It can supersample a 4K HDMI source into ProRes2K/1080p.