Thread: URGENT. Need Lighting Tips for shoot tomorrow night.

1. #1 URGENT. Need Lighting Tips for shoot tomorrow night. 
    So our prep and test day go rained out so we did not get to prep light setup for location. It will be a night shoot with 2 characters under a fallen tree having a conversation. I wanted to share my light setup and ask for tips or suggestions as I couldn't test this myself but it is my thoughts just based on my own experience, but I have not done a night scene with this much lighting before.

This image shows what I want to and was thinking of doing. We will be pumping fog into the background.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1atC...ew?usp=sharing

We will be blue gelling for a moon light look. Here was a test I was able to do during the rain but only one light was able to be used. The issue is this shot has no depth due to only having one light because of the rain and not having enough cover to test the rest. This shot is a bit too dark. This is a dramatic film so not looking for beauty light.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YRY...ew?usp=sharing

Any help would be appreciated on placement of lights, distance from subject and if I am going overkill. Shooting on a C200 in RAW. One camera, we are trying to light where we dont have to adjust much during the shoot for time sake.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Peter917; 04-19-2019 at 12:59 PM.

Don't forget to light the background otherwise your location won't even show.
    Do you have reference images?
    I would explore the usage of a strong hard source from behind high up as a "moon".

Are you saying in addition to everything else I have going on? I was thinking of maybe making the 300D the background source so its partial backlight and background, so maybe move it more to the left and angle it more to the side?

I uploaded photos, did they not show?

Your pictures are not showing so we have no idea what it is you're referencing.

Quote Originally Posted by EYu View Post
    Your pictures are not showing so we have no idea what it is you're referencing.
    How do I get them to show? I did the standard photo upload.

Ok I think I fixed it and included links incase images do not show

Not sure the budget or riggability of the location but an Airstar light baloon makes for very realistic “moonlight” illumination of a rather large area at night.

Quote Originally Posted by GeranSimpson View Post
    Not sure the budget or riggability of the location but an Airstar light baloon makes for very realistic “moonlight” illumination of a rather large area at night.
    Not in the budget and the shoots in 1 day so no time anyways. Really just need input and tips based on what's provided.

I would advise not gelling the lights if you don't plan on mixing any other color sources into the scene. Gelling will cut down on exposure and also starve your red channel. Instead, set your camera for 3200K so you can at least preview something relatively blue on the monitors.
    Aaron Lochert

Quote Originally Posted by LochnessDigital View Post
    I would advise not gelling the lights if you don't plan on mixing any other color sources into the scene. Gelling will cut down on exposure and also starve your red channel. Instead, set your camera for 3200K so you can at least preview something relatively blue on the monitors.
    Good point! Saves on set up time as well. The only other color we may mix in is a lantern,but that should come off correct if we balance to 3200 anyways. Any thoughts on the setup? I am thinking of making the top light a back/top light instead and use the 300D as a background light for the woods/fog.