Thread: Mac Pro 2013 is getting weary!

1. #1 Mac Pro 2013 is getting weary! 
    What configuration of iMac would I need to replace my MacPro? I have a 2013 MacPro. I have a twenty year long mac habit. Most of my images are 4K RAW, 3:1. I have two annoying issues with it. First, I need to use all the tricks in the manual to optimize playback, and it is still choppy. The second is that rendering out a 1080 timeline is 10 fps max, and sometimes crashes. My media and output drives are ssd raid 0(2 ssd each), speed test is good. System Specs below.

F26A58D6-868B-4195-A3D3-EE91D844E82F.jpg

I'm in a similar place. What kind of speed do you get out of the raided ssd's?

Be curious to see a test run from a flashed Nvidia card as opposed to the AMD. I know Blackmagic says that Open CL is just as good as CUDA but I'd love to see a benchmark test. Here's an interesting link: https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/v...79942&p=442655.

I've found some really helpful people here: https://www.liftgammagain.com/forum/...ms/cpu-gpu.44/

And here: https://forums.macrumors.com/forums/mac-pro.1/

FYI I'm rendering right now coming out between 14-17 from UHD RAW 3:1. I'm using a macvidcard flashed Nvidia GTX 770, a long out of date GPU. Like you waiting for apple to do something and wondering if I should just give up and go to the alternative solution for much less money.

Marshall, thanks for your comments. I am specifically interested in the iMac Pro, if it has a configuration that would be a significant performance improvement....or not.

Senior Member daydreamersproductions's Avatar
    Yeah mines craped out. I had to build a Hackintosh - 6 Core Intel i7-8700K 4.7GHz TurboCore Processor CPU, 64 GB Crucial Ballistic Sport LT PC4-22400 RAM, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB M.2 Drive, GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC2 with 3584 CUDA cores and Blackmagic Design Fairlight PCIE Audio Accelerator Card
    Go to my site to see my current Production and Post Production Gear
    http://www.daydreamersproductions.com/

Quote Originally Posted by daydreamersproductions View Post
    Yeah mines craped out. I had to build a Hackintosh - 6 Core Intel i7-8700K 4.7GHz TurboCore Processor CPU, 64 GB Crucial Ballistic Sport LT PC4-22400 RAM, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB M.2 Drive, GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC2 with 3584 CUDA cores and Blackmagic Design Fairlight PCIE Audio Accelerator Card
    Thank you, I appreciate the Hackintosh description. It may come to that!

One thing I'm curious about is that I keep hearing that BRaw uses much less of everything on both the GPU and the CPU. Kinda like having a new system. It doesn't really help with older projects but could be a huge help with new ones. I know CDNG required some O-O-O-MPH compared with people using ProRes or equivalent.

New Mac Mini maxed out (with 6-core i7 processor) + Sonnet eGPU

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Harrington View Post
    One thing I'm curious about is that I keep hearing that BRaw uses much less of everything on both the GPU and the CPU. Kinda like having a new system. It doesn't really help with older projects but could be a huge help with new ones. I know CDNG required some O-O-O-MPH compared with people using ProRes or equivalent.
    To get decent playback, I cache both DNG and H264 material while editing or grading. They are slow to work with, but cached and background rendered performance is ok. I don't set the interval for background chacheing too short, or the drag on interface response is tremendous. No Braw for my Mini 4.6k��.