Thread: BM firmware 6.1 The Good and The Bad

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jimagine View Post
    I prefer my perspective, thanks.
    I prefer mine to be factual.

Funny if a manufacturer ask you for payment for a fix telling you it is an improvement. I bet you won't take it.

I install FW 6.1 again and now the problem with the touch screen has gone away. I have a feeling this FW update may not initially completely clear the previous FW before over writing it with the new FW.
    Anyway the LUT selection and playback issue are still there that did not happen with FW 5.2. Anyone care to try this? When playback a video clip with LUT enabled, pause the screen then go and select a different LUT and then continue play. Does it or does it not change to the LUT selected? This use to work with FW 5.2 but not FW 6.1.

Quote Originally Posted by joe12south View Post
    "Fix" or "improvement", I'll take it.

I'm glad BMD did the responsible thing and pushed a much needed maintenance release ahead of a feature release. Should additional features (BRAW, etc.) make it our way, I'll happily accept them, but honestly, I'd prioritize another round of bug-squashing and UI work ahead of any *new* features.
    Well you said it. Being responsible is to "fix" while an "improvement" is a bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by Taikonaut View Post
    Anyway the LUT selection and playback issue are still there that did not happen with FW 5.2. Anyone care to try this? When playback a video clip with LUT enabled, pause the screen then go and select a different LUT and then continue play. Does it or does it not change to the LUT selected? This use to work with FW 5.2 but not FW 6.1.
    Hey, I did try this. And it looks like you are not able change LUT during playback mode. If you change LUT before going into playback mode, then you can preview different LUT.

EDIT: only on/off via custom button or menu

Quote Originally Posted by KrocanX View Post
    Hey, I did try this. And it looks like you are not able change LUT during playback mode. If you change LUT before going into playback mode, then you can preview different LUT.

EDIT: only on/off via custom button or menu
    Thanks for confirming. If you roll back to FW 5.2 you can change LUT during playback. BMD please fix this.

Just posted this to another thread, but I think I just discovered another 6.1 bug. Basically, there is a massive difference in contrast and dynamic range between the same shot in Raw vs. Prores. I downgraded to 5.2 and lo and behold, the issue is gone! It made shooting prores so bad looking, it was like an ordinary DSLR. I had to compensate by 2+ stops for the massive jump in gamma between the two in FW 6.1, and when I downgraded back to 5.2, changing between Raw and ProRes had ZERO effect on the dynamic range and it showed in the histogram as well as the image. Can others please confirm this so I'm not crazy?

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Allen csc View Post
    Just posted this to another thread, but I think I just discovered another 6.1 bug. Basically, there is a massive difference in contrast and dynamic range between the same shot in Raw vs. Prores. I downgraded to 5.2 and lo and behold, the issue is gone! It made shooting prores so bad looking, it was like an ordinary DSLR. I had to compensate by 2+ stops for the massive jump in gamma between the two in FW 6.1, and when I downgraded back to 5.2, changing between Raw and ProRes had ZERO effect on the dynamic range and it showed in the histogram as well as the image. Can others please confirm this so I'm not crazy?
    Not crazy, but maybe subject to operator error? And you're not specifying how you're judging DR. After normalization? Grading? Are you transforming one image but not another?

Anyway, I don't see any sign of what you're describing, other than expected differences, based on the characteristics of ISO settings when shooting Prores.

Yeah I think you're right - I just re upgraded to 6.1 and I think the Film setting wasn't checked off - thanks.

Are we even to the beta version of the firmware yet?

Quote Originally Posted by RAWlover View Post
    Are we even to the beta version of the firmware yet?
    The firmware is awesome - rock solid.
    That's a FUD comment.

There are a lot of user errors after updates - like this one above.
    The upgrade process resets user settings and people don't know that and think that there are bugs.

No bugs.
    Great 2nd gen firmware.