Thread: Timecode generators and syncing audio

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by theorib View Post
    If you don't want headaches, always have one sync box straight to camera and one going to the recorder, unless you are using good high end recorders like Sound Devices or Zaxcom which have rock solid timecode.
    This is really good practice, and something I insist on doing for my shows, even with the big boy cameras.

Having an external clock fitted full time ensures you're not relying on the internal clock of the camera. And aside from Alexa and the UMP, i've not found any internal clock to be accurate enough after 8 hours, despite what the manufacturer's claim. - I haven't yet really tested the P4K clock

When you have an external clock fitted to each camera it almost guarantees you won't have sync problems. Even on Alexa if you change the frame rate to an off speed and back again, you can still get into trouble with the internal clock sync.

So what I do is have an external clock for each camera and it stays connected.

You jam the external clock in the morning and you jam it again at lunch time, typically 6 hours later.

Ideally you have a genuine master clock and you have an external clock that generates TC that can be compared so that the master clock will also TELL you the drift and offset, but few bother with doing this. I find it helps with troubleshooting. This is what the Ambient does well.

They also make this but again the cost will deter most...

https://ambient.de/en/product/powerlockit/

It's basically a power distro / video distro system that also has a built in clock AND can record frame accurate lens meta data (currently only Zeiss CP3)

JB

Quote Originally Posted by John Brawley View Post
    This is really good practice, and something I insist on doing for my shows, even with the big boy cameras.
    https://ambient.de/en/product/powerlockit/

It's basically a power distro / video distro system that also has a built in clock AND can record frame accurate lens meta data (currently only Zeiss CP3)
    Now that's a very fancy gizmo

I never used the Masterclock to QC timecode throughout a show but makes a lot of sense and I'll sure look into it for the future. Thanks for the tip. And yes, re-jamming just after lunch is definitely the way to go. It's also a good time to access if any of the timecode boxes batteries need looking at though most last 24hs or so.

Very well remembered on the frame rate changes. I think any camera will lose sync when you go back and forth from project frame rate to over crank. The TC box constantly in is a dead on assurance nothing untoward will happen and you don't even have to do anything. You just go to your non standard frame rate and when you come back the camera re-jams itself...

Theo Ribeiro

Thanks John, a great idea and product, power distribution, TC and Genlock all-in-one. How much is the average cost? An arm, or an arm and a leg?
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by theorib View Post
    Now that's a very fancy gizmo

I never used the Masterclock to QC timecode throughout a show but makes a lot of sense and I'll sure look into it for the future. Thanks for the tip. And yes, re-jamming just after lunch is definitely the way to go. It's also a good time to access if any of the timecode boxes batteries need looking at though most last 24hs or so.

Very well remembered on the frame rate changes. I think any camera will lose sync when you go back and forth from project frame rate to over crank. The TC box constantly in is a dead on assurance nothing untoward will happen and you don't even have to do anything. You just go to your non standard frame rate and when you come back the camera re-jams itself...
    Yep that's the best way. Then the only shortcomings are a bad battery or bad battery in the TC clock.

And a master clock that compares can help a lot to troubleshoot, rather than relying on the audio recorder which is what some do. (and it's often not that accurate either)

Something like this that reads compares and generates both ASCI and LTC timecode.
    https://www.adorama.com/aracc501.htm...oaAqCZEALw_wcB

My fav is actually one of these for simplicity....but they're harder and harder to come by now...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Aaton-Origi...-/202477518621

JB

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Smith View Post
    Thanks John, a great idea and product, power distribution, TC and Genlock all-in-one. How much is the average cost? An arm, or an arm and a leg?
    Cheers
    Denny, it is a new product and not yet on the market:
    https://www.videodata.de/shop/produc...werLockit.html
    "Der Preis steht noch nicht fest" means "price hasn't been announced yet"

Ah, danka Robert
    Cheers
    Denny

By the way, has anyone tried feeding timecode into an URSA Mini Pro shooting BMRAW? Just curious if it's a seamless experience and if the format retains TC?
    Also curious about the experience from Pocket4k owners out there and their experience feeding timecode into the camera through the 3.5mm audio port?

Any insights would be welcome

Cheers,

Theo

Theo Ribeiro