Thread: Dearly missing the range of my s16 zooms

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Good, being soft wide open is an Angenieux IQ trait that is often looked at as bing a plus, giving you a cinematic IQ choice, which works well for Beauty shots or close ups of women.
    Cheers

OK, here you go:
    Please decompress the linked ZIP file and you'll find six stills. There are three with some vegetation shot for bokeh with the Canon FD 35-105mm f3.5 zoom and one to compare resolution, all WO.
    For comparison I shot two stills with the Sony/Zeiss 55mm f1.8, sometimes called poor man's Otus for it's excellent resolution paired with good bokeh, set to f3.5 too.

These stills are all straight out of clips shot on a Sony A7R II (my A7S is out for shooting and only HD anyway without external recorder), recorded in 4K XAVC with the Cine4 profile (my favorite) in S-35 mode.
    No grading whatsoever and the profile is matching the scene contrast pretty well. One observation: the stills from the Sony/Zeiss are a tad lighter (and more contrasty), which is probably due to better coatings rising the T-stop.

BTW, the Canon zoom hardly changes it's length when zooming or focusing, which is nice for mattebox or gear use, but the front lens is turning when focusing – which is why you'll want a mattebox.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yd2hvpem1b...Zeiss.zip?dl=0
    Last edited by Nomad; 12-03-2018 at 07:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    OK, here you go:
    Please decompress the linked ZIP file and you'll find six stills. There are three with some vegetation shot for bokeh with the Canon FD 35-105mm f3.5 zoom and one to compare resolution, all WO.
    For comparison I shot two stills with the Sony/Zeiss 55mm f1.8, sometimes called poor man's Otus for it's excellent resolution paired with good bokeh, set to f3.5 too.

These stills are all straight out of clips shot on a Sony A7R II (my A7S is out for shooting and only HD anyway without external recorder), recorded in 4K XAVC with the Cine4 profile (my favorite) in S-35 mode.
    No grading whatsoever and the profile is matching the scene contrast pretty well. One observation: the stills from the Sony/Zeiss are a tad lighter (and more contrasty), which is probably due to better coatings rising the T-stop.

BTW, the Canon zoom hardly changes it's length when zooming or focusing, which is nice for mattebox or gear use, but the front lens is turning when focusing – which is why you'll want a mattebox.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yd2hvpem1b...Zeiss.zip?dl=0
    Thank you very much for this Nomad. Really appreciate you taking the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Smith View Post
    Good, being soft wide open is an Angenieux IQ trait that is often looked at as bing a plus, giving you a cinematic IQ choice, which works well for Beauty shots or close ups of women.
    Cheers
    I haven't given up on it just yet!

The Canon 35-105 f/3.5 is a great great lens for video.

I'll dig up some footage I've shot with mine, but for the price of admission, it's hard to beat.

I've actually recently gotten it's wider sibling, the FD 20-35 L f/3.5 and the two make a great pair

Quote Originally Posted by homestar_kevin View Post
    The Canon 35-105 f/3.5 is a great great lens for video.

I'll dig up some footage I've shot with mine, but for the price of admission, it's hard to beat.

I've actually recently gotten it's wider sibling, the FD 20-35 L f/3.5 and the two make a great pair
    That would be fabulous. Thank you.

The 20-35 is much more expensive, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    The 20-35 is much more expensive, though.
    Yes, definitely. The 20-35 is an L lens and the price reflects that. The 35-105 is great though, very hard to beat for the money.

Here's a clip filmed with the 35-105 on the samsung nx1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oq6njjj43n..._1282.MP4?dl=0

Wish someone would make a manual 16-100 native MFT. I think would be a reasonable working range without needing to make the optics too big. Easy to pair a 12mm prime if you need wider. It's usually the wide end that's harder to make good with zooms than long.

The Olympus 12-100 f/4 comes close, use it from 16mm on, and you should be OK distortion wise. It has a nice “Manual” focus clutch setting, and zoom is manual. Other wise, doubt if a cine type zoom just for MFT has enough of a market, but with the release of the new Pocket, maybe so...

Another option is use S16 Cine zooms, and crop the sensor in post...
    Cheers