Thread: Any tutorials on bringing back highlights?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Any tutorials on bringing back highlights? 
    I've shoot some footage and the skys a bit overexposed--not clipped and using LR4.2 or PS to bring back the highlights in the sky is quite easy but in resolve I don't know how to do this. Could anyone lend a hand?
    Thank you.
    www.lightformfilm.com
    https://vimeo.com/suwanchote

follow me on instagram @lightformfilm

What have you tried so far in Resolve? Could you post some examples of the footage? - still frames will do. What's the source codec?
    Blackmagic Design
    My BMD LUTs.

**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainHook View Post
    What have you tried so far in Resolve? Could you post some examples of the footage? - still frames will do. What's the source codec?
    There are a number of ways to do this. To affect the overall image, click and hold on the shuttle underneath the gain section on the bottom left of the color screen. That will affect the overall highlights. Another way would be to use the curve tool. To affect only clipped areas, click the clipped area, then the highlight button underneath the qualifier tab (bottom center of screen). Make sure the eye drop tool is selected when clicking those areas. Then use the radius blur under the qualifier tab to even out the selection and drag down with the gain wheel to bring back the highlights.

Typed on a phone while drinking a Bloody Mary, excuse any jibberish.

DNG
    here is one still during setup

ill try the resolve thing when i get back from working out
    the zebras were set a 100, normally I do 95 but I think it resetted somehow.
    I didn't know the iso was set at 1600 here so I didn't lower the aperture on the tokina
    revised link
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/nuwfyx20y4...rame000166.DNG
    Last edited by Note Suwanchote; 12-23-2012 at 04:09 PM.
    www.lightformfilm.com

Something is wrong with that file - doesn't react like a proper DNG in Resolve at all.

reuploaded--my bad that was a PS dng
    www.lightformfilm.com

I'm away from home now for a few days over xmas, but have you tried the highlight recovery checkbox in resolve yet? I haven't had a chance myself. Without trying that DNG above myself, does just pulling down the exposure control or using the gain/luma controls not work?
    Blackmagic Design
    My BMD LUTs.

**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainHook View Post
    I'm away from home now for a few days over xmas, but have you tried the highlight recovery checkbox in resolve yet? I haven't had a chance myself. Without trying that DNG above myself, does just pulling down the exposure control or using the gain/luma controls not work?
    i did try those but it doesn't bring back the highlights the same way LR or PS does though. I can post a comparison in a few
    www.lightformfilm.com

First make sure your Color Space and Gamma are set to BMD Film and your 3D Output Lookup Table is set to Blackmagic Cinema Camera Film to Rec709.

Switch your colour wheels to Log mode. Then you're able to use the highlight wheel to bring back the highlights. By default the High Range is set too high, so drop it to 0.333 or there abouts depending on the image.

Here is the original image.

Lowering the highlights gives you the image below. The pink is there because the blue channel has clipped. This is made more obvious by having the Highlight Recovery box ticked since its generating the missing highlight info from the un-clipped channels.

Notice how using the Highlight wheel also affects the foliage highlights. I actually dont mind this since it creates a more natural looking image compared to a more targeted selection that only lowers the highs in the sky/clouds. Normally I wouldn't lower the highs this much, so it won't usually be this obvious.

Desaturate and the highlights using a serial node with a Luma qualification that only affects the highs. You could do this using Soft Clip as well. On this same node I've also bumped the contrast to create more definition in the clouds.

I've probably lowered the highs a bit too much, but I wanted to show what info is up there. Careful with this technique, as its easy to make the image look unnatural.

Quote Originally Posted by Juan Melara View Post
    First make sure your Color Space and Gamma are set to BMD Film and your 3D Output Lookup Table is set to Blackmagic Cinema Camera Film to Rec709.

Switch your colour wheels to Log mode. Then you're able to use the highlight wheel to bring back the highlights. By default the High Range is set too high, so drop it to 0.333 or there abouts depending on the image.

Here is the original image.

Lowering the highlights gives you the image below. The pink is there because the blue channel has clipped. This is made more obvious by having the Highlight Recovery box ticked since its generating the missing highlight info from the un-clipped channels.

Notice how using the Highlight wheel also affects the foliage highlights. I actually dont mind this since it creates a more natural looking image compared to a more targeted selection that only lowers the highs in the sky/clouds. Normally I wouldn't lower the highs this much, so it won't usually be this obvious.

Desaturate and the highlights using a serial node with a Luma qualification that only affects the highs. You could do this using Soft Clip as well. On this same node I've also bumped the contrast to create more definition in the clouds.

I've probably lowered the highs a bit too much, but I wanted to show what info is up there. Careful with this technique, as its easy to make the image look unnatural.
    ah I'll definitely be trying this, thank you!
    I tried to lower the luminance curves and some clips worked while others just had clipped values
    www.lightformfilm.com