Thread: RED Phone

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
    Here is a video posted yesterday revealing that the phone does not have two speakers on the bottom like the two speaker grills suggest, and it also compares the phone to the 7 year old Evo 3D phone
    Are you saying people were hoping there were a total of THREE speakers in this phone? I have no idea why anyone would want that or be disappointed that it doesn't; there's already a balanced stereo pair when you've got the phone in landscape.
    Aaron Lochert

Quote Originally Posted by GeranSimpson View Post
    I really don't give a rats ass about what these reviewers think. They are applying the features of the device completely wrong and are missing the point. It really reminds me of all the amateur "filmmakers" who complained about how the bmcc and bmpc footage was noisy and looked like trash when it was them just shooting trash footage and not lighting their scenes. It's not what it does, it's what you can do with it.

*Pokes Arri Alexa with a stick*
    "c'mon make a movie already"
    "this camera sucks, rate it a 1"
    Give me a break. That isnít the case here at all. I get that when you pay so much for a phone like Hydrogen you need that to be true, but it just isnít.

Itís like my dadís used corvette. It drives like crap, has many issues, and was way overpriced, but my dad claims its the best riding car heís ever owned.

Quote Originally Posted by LochnessDigital View Post
    Are you saying people were hoping there were a total of THREE speakers in this phone? I have no idea why anyone would want that or be disappointed that it doesn't; there's already a balanced stereo pair when you've got the phone in landscape.
    What’s the point of the faux speaker grill? It visually implies something that isn’t there. It’s deceptive design.

That actually might be the point...although I don't know anything about this phone.

The fact that Hydrogen is a usable premium smart phone is secondary to the fact that it is a platform for a new modular camera system.
    There are major software and new application updates coming just about every week at the moment. Give it some time.

I somewhat agree.

A professional camera system that can connect to a 4G network will be a godsend to those in news broadcast. Field journalist will love it, and vloggers will love it, basically anyone that needs to send raw footage via the internet ASAP.

But Red isn’t selling that. They’ve hinted at an unknown module sometime in the future, but that’s not what they are currently selling. Also, I don’t trust Red’s “future plans” cause I remember ‘3K for $3K.’

Hydrogen is being sold purely as a high end premium phone offering a Holographic-like screen with surround sound audio. The modules are just a future side note.

If Red’s camera module is good, and reasonably priced, it could save the phone. Which begs to question, why didn’t Red just simply sell a “4G capable camera brain for a new modular camera system”? Why did have to be a “premium” phone?

Honestly, I personally wouldn’t want my phone trapped inside of my shooting camera. I couldn’t imagine stopping everything in the middle of a shoot to say “We need to break down the camera, and disassemble it so that I can make a quick phone call.”

The only way it could work is if the Hydrogen had it’s own line separate from your primary phone. Then you would never use it as a phone. Which again begs the question, why did the Hydrogen even have to be a phone in the first place?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
    Which again begs the question, why did the Hydrogen even have to be a phone in the first place?
    In short, to change lives and sell to millions.

You eventually hit a ceiling with cinema cameras.

The Hydrogen phone is only changing lives through the power of laughter.

Just because a cinema cameras hits some perceivable ceiling doesn’t mean its time to start adding slide whistles to it.

That's Jannard's frame-of-mind, not mine...and yes, it's time to venture into other businesses like every other million-billion dollar company does.

RED knows what it's doing. Nothing wrong with experimenting and seeing where this takes them.

Youíre right.

The thing that bothers me is that Red came so close to creating something people actually need, and want, but they seem to have been blindsided with misguided ambitions of becoming the next Apple.