Thread: RED Phone

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 RED Phone 
    I mean what is the point of this "phone". Very limited usability, just a few apps for it, no voicemail feature on it (really?). No info as far as camera unit. Just curious what is this "phone" for? Seams really overpriced for what it is.

Early adopter’s curse.

I’m sure it will be great once the whole ecosystem is built up. For now, it’s just a nicely specced android phone with the bonus of the 3D stuff if you’re into that sorta thing.
    Aaron Lochert

Quote Originally Posted by LochnessDigital View Post

bonus of the 3D stuff if you’re into that sorta thing.
    3D was a flop more then once. It's a total gimmick.

It’s not a gimmick. I find photos people are posting in 4V much more immersive than normal photos. You feel like you’re actually looking at a captured moment - a snapshot in time. The effect is also much better than 3d, every subject on the z axis has its own separation. The 2d camera in dof mode is a dream and has more dynamic range than other flagship devices.

Personally I got it for the build quality. I was tired of cheaply made flagship devices breaking down to poor craftsmanship after 5 months. Everything else is a bonus. The 3d audio is great as well. Overall extremely satisfied especially since the amount of improvememt updates based on user feedback is insane. When the cinema module drops? Oh lawd have mercy

How is the video on this phone? From what I remember it was a really big selling point.

All reviews so far say the camera falls below the flagship phone cameras in most regards.

This phone is currently one of the worst reviewed phones on the market. It doesn’t even use a Red sensor for its camera (which would be the only reason to want a Red phone), it uses a Sony sensor. But every review so far claims the entire phone from screen to camera to audio to processor falls way short of the competition.
    Last edited by Bob Loblaw; 11-15-2018 at 06:26 PM.

The reviewers are well, wrong. They are focusing on the wrong things and are not using it correctly. They also looked at it without updating it and some even left the screen film on. The cinema sensor will be housed in an individual module released early next year. Everyone I know that has one of these agrees with me, it's breathtaking. I saw a photo today that I literally looked at for several minutes. It blew me away. Earlier I listened to a concert and felt like I was in the audience. I have never had these experiences with any other device. The phone is extraordinary. It definitely was a rough start when I first received my preorder but the constant updates are fixing every criticism we have been reporting.

When you have a top tech reviewer, and red fanboy/user, like Marques Brownlee giving the phone a mediocre review then things are certainly rotten. But this isnít one or two idiot tech reviewers bashing this phone, this is negative to mediocre reviews across the board.

Iíve briefly saw the phone last week, and my take away was that the audio was shockingly bad and the V4 was a typical 3D gimmick (not a holographic screen the hype claimed) that started giving me a headache after a few moments of staring at it.

Here is a video posted yesterday revealing that the phone does not have two speakers on the bottom like the two speaker grills suggest, and it also compares the phone to the 7 year old Evo 3D phone:

https://youtu.be/qqhl3WDWiIk

I really don't give a rats ass about what these reviewers think. They are applying the features of the device completely wrong and are missing the point. It really reminds me of all the amateur "filmmakers" who complained about how the bmcc and bmpc footage was noisy and looked like trash when it was them just shooting trash footage and not lighting their scenes. It's not what it does, it's what you can do with it.

*Pokes Arri Alexa with a stick*
    "c'mon make a movie already"
    "this camera sucks, rate it a 1"