Thread: Soft edges with wide angle lenses on the BMP4K

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617
    If it is not sensor stack maybe something uneven?
    I had problems with a batch of Firecrest filters that shows severe softening and back focusing but only when using 35mm and longer lens, wide angle lens have no softening issue. Hitech investigated the filters with a collimater and confirm a slight variance in thickness that have caused deflection. So maybe even sensor stack?

In the case of my lenses I think it's just some tilting and non-uniform focus fields. Not a huge deal at all. If anybody want to read a bit on those issues, these two articles are very interesting (the second one is relevante here, the first one is just for context): one, two

(I think I destroyed the original images when taking the crops: I opened, cropped, and saved with the same name; maybe they are on the card but I think it was formatted already)

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel H View Post
    One important thing: both the a6000 and the p4k have a thin sensor stack. I don't think this is a sensor stack problem anymore.
    I'm not sure if I can come to the same conclusion (yet). I bought an E-mount to M43 adapter as well and used my 7.5mm and 12mm on an A6300. Unfortunately I had the same problem as you, the adapter is too thick and I couldn't reach infinity focus on any of my adapted M43 lenses. BUT I did notice that the edges of the frame was more in focus than the center of the frame. Again, not conclusive evidence that sensor stack is making a difference, but also not conclusive evidence that it isn't.

No idea why it's happening, but it's not big enough for me to worry about it, pixel peeping will make your palms hairy, I'm going to use my time on something else.
    lol...people keep saying this is pixel peeping, but I feel like the problem (at least with my P4K and lenses) is pretty obvious. I didn't have to zoom in 500% to find anything :P

Quote Originally Posted by Taikonaut View Post
    If it is not sensor stack maybe something uneven?
    I had problems with a batch of Firecrest filters that shows severe softening and back focusing but only when using 35mm and longer lens, wide angle lens have no softening issue. Hitech investigated the filters with a collimater and confirm a slight variance in thickness that have caused deflection. So maybe even sensor stack?
    I shot all my tests without any filters to make sure this wouldn't be a problem, I changed the shutter speed to get proper exposure. It also doesn't explain why the lenses work fine with my previous M43 cameras, even when used with filters like NDs and diffusion.

In the case of my lenses I think it's just some tilting and non-uniform focus fields. Not a huge deal at all. If anybody want to read a bit on those issues, these two articles are very interesting (the second one is relevante here, the first one is just for context): one, two
    I don't think that's the problem in my case. Since my lenses work fine with my previous M43 cameras. The problem only happens with the Pocket 4K.

Once again.

Let’s compare apples to apples.

Same lens. Same field of view.

What’s the point of using a m4/3 photo camera as a control if you’re seeing a different (wider) fov.

How do you know if a lens is “good” when you’ve never shot it that wide before.

JB

Quote Originally Posted by kin869 View Post

I shot all my tests without any filters to make sure this wouldn't be a problem, I changed the shutter speed to get proper exposure. It also doesn't explain why the lenses work fine with my previous M43 cameras, even when used with filters like NDs and diffusion.

What I meant was the sensor stack not even. Just like when my faulty batch of filters was discovered to have uneven thickness. If it is not the lens or the filters then it is something covering the sensor that might not be even.

Quote Originally Posted by Taikonaut View Post
    What I meant was the sensor stack not even. Just like when my faulty batch of filters was discovered to have uneven thickness. If it is not the lens or the filters then it is something covering the sensor that might not be even.
    Ah gotcha, I see what you mean now.

You know how some of you guys have said that your E-mount to mft adapter wasn't right because it wasn't letting you achieve infinity focus?
    Is that really correct? Are your adapters pushing the lens out more than 1.25mm?
    If so, then yes, they are just faulty adapters.
    But if they are not, it actually points to something else.
    Maybe the mft samyangs have been configured internally to acount for the mft sensor stack and thus the thinner sensor stack of the sonys is whats causing infinity focus to be impossible?
    (Though if that were true it would mean its actually lucky you can achieve infinity on the pocket 4k.)
    Other than the actual thickness of the adapter another thing to check that would tend to corroberate this is if infinity focus is acheived on the Samyang and Laowa beyond the infinity marking?
    In other words, are you only just able to acheive infinity focus?