Thread: Soft edges with wide angle lenses on the BMP4K

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Quote Originally Posted by Howie Roll View Post
    P.S. According to DPReview the GX85 has no filter stack...
    I can't imagine that is true and I doubt DPReview said that. A quote would be nice because that statement makes no sense for a variety of reasons lens compatibility issues, IR pollution, etc.

The trend in stills cameras is to not have an OLPF.

The GH5 doesn’t have one.

The EM1 MK2 doesn’t have one.

None of my Leica Ms or S have one.

Of course they all have an IR / Sensor cover glass.

Zeiss CPs are really Zeiss ZEs. Pretty sure no one is going to call them soft. And in my experience they’re some of the sharpest glass around.

The next test should be a 12mm Ultra prime or Master prime replicating the first setup.

JB

Zeiss ZE stills lenses particularly F1.4s are very soft wide open and only becomes reasonable at f2.8 and I would call them sharp from F4.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph B View Post
    It's not an imaging circle issue. That's the point I'm trying to make, and people seem to be in denial of it. The BMP4k camera itself is creating the curvature of field on fast, wide angle lenses that produce perfectly flat images on other cameras. I know it sounds incredible, but my eyes don't lie. We've already had three independent reports of this phenomenon in this thread. Please don't confuse the issue with speed boosters. What we need is for the Blackmagic team to reproduce the effect, so they can see it for themselves.
    You mentioned using a Rokinon 12mm lens. Is this the native MFT model?

Quote Originally Posted by Kristian Lam View Post
    The original post lists the native MFT samyang 12mm f2 which is the same as Rokinon. Another post confirms that the optics of this lens covers aps-c on Sony cameras, but that would have to be the e-mount version. Not to be confused with the 12mm 2.8 which I think covers 135 full frame. I have the Rokinon cine version t2.2 and have used without issue on original pocket and Olympus pen, hope to be able to use on pocket 4K, I doubt I would need wider than that in standard use, if I want fish eye wide I just grab the GoPro.

I don't have Veydras but would love to have for this camera, maybe the 12 and 16 from that set should be tested as reference.

Quote Originally Posted by VidShooter View Post
    I can't imagine that is true and I doubt DPReview said that. A quote would be nice because that statement makes no sense for a variety of reasons lens compatibility issues, IR pollution, etc.
    Yeah my bad. I meant it has no physical optical low pass filter, I don't know how stack got in there, posting before coffee time.

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pan...-dmc-gx85-gx80

Quote Originally Posted by Kristian Lam View Post
    Yes, it is. To be clear, I've used this lens on three other cameras - Panasonic GH5, GH2, and Sony A7s via a MFT to E-mount adapter. On all of them, the picture is flat and nicely focused all the way to the extreme corners. Remember, the Rokinon (Samyang) 12mm f2 lens is designed to cover an APS-C size sensor, and I confirm that it does this splendidly on the A7s in APS-C crop mode. So, I know the problem isn't the lens.

rokinon_14mm_f5.6.jpg
    For what it's worth, this is from a Rokinon Cine DS 14mm at f/5.6 on a Nikon Mount SpeedBooster. Edge to edge sharpness is as good as can be expected from this lens. I don't see any difference in edge sharpness as compared to my GH5.

Link to full resolution: http://www.humcrush.com/grabs/rokinon_14mm_f5.6.jpg

(Apologies for the shitty office lighting. I keep meaning to get natural light replacements for the fluorescents, but never get around to it.)

Quote Originally Posted by joe12south View Post
    rokinon_14mm_f5.6.jpg
    For what it's worth, this is from a Rokinon Cine DS 14mm at f/5.6 on a Nikon Mount SpeedBooster. Edge to edge sharpness is as good as can be expected from this lens. I don't see any difference in edge sharpness as compared to my GH5.

Link to full resolution: http://www.humcrush.com/grabs/rokinon_14mm_f5.6.jpg

(Apologies for the shitty office lighting. I keep meaning to get natural light replacements for the fluorescents, but never get around to it.)
    Could you try to shoot something where you need to reach infinity focus across the entire frame, from center to the edges?

Quote Originally Posted by kin869 View Post
    Could you try to shoot something where you need to reach infinity focus across the entire frame, from center to the edges?
    Sure, I'll do so tomorrow.