Thread: Pocket Cinema Camera 4k With Zhiyun Crane 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by joe12south View Post
    Can the Pilotfly power the camera?
    As far as I am aware P4K requires 12v input to power it just like the old pocket without dummy battery, doesnt charge via C-USB. I may be wrong. To answer the question, no it doesn't. Apparently they will be releasing a new H2. no idea on specs
    Last edited by iammuc; 10-19-2018 at 01:52 AM.

I mounted my p4k on the Zhiyun Crane (original) and managed to get it nicely balanced... by doing something very very weird that most of you won't even consider. I must say I'm pretty happy with this idea I came up with, but yeah, I'll take some pics of the setup tonight and post them here so you can see exactly how crazy I am...

OK, yesterday I had my first real-life test so I can report now...

Here's my CRAZY setup on the original Zhiyun Crane: I put the camera diagonally on the plate. It's more difficult to balance but I got it almost perfect after some tweaking. Motion was smooth as usual. And clearance is not a problem, it doesn't hit the brackets (unless you try to put it upside-down, which won't work here), even switching o torch-mode (clearance there is less than a mm but it doesn't hit). Of course the front motor doesn't appear in the image (this is a 23mm-equivalent FoV, maybe with a fisheye lens it would show up). And you get to see the screen without any obstructions, which is GREAT.

The big downside is that it's only good for horizontal shots: if you try to tilt, it will roll as well, and you have to neutralize that with the joystick, which definitely won't happen in motion (so, preparing a tilted-up or tilted-down shot is not an issue, but tilting while rolling is not going to happen here). It should be relatively simple to fix this through firmware (make the software adjust tilt and roll combined so that the camera is always roll-level as you tilt), but I can't do that, it has to be the manufacturer (and seeing the screen without obstruction is really nice, so I truly think there's an opening here for manufacturers to offer something like this as a standard shooting mode).

So yeah, it's very limiting, I think I'm going to try the motors-on-left-side setup again somehow, and if that doesn't work either then I'll probably get a new gimbal.

IMG_20181028_090852_2.jpg

I got mine to balance using an L bracket with a 1/4" hole (less than $10). Its just a plate so its quite light. I took out the side bracket and easily shifted the pocket a bit to the left. Easy to balance and actually works well with metabones and 11-16
    Attached Images
    Last edited by dcloud; 10-28-2018 at 08:00 AM.
    Dustin Uy-Filmmaker

I did something similar to dcloud by using an extra QR plate, which lets me shifting the camera enough to the left without hitting the tilt motor:

===

Off topic: Samuel H - How is your Rokinon/Samyang 12mm working on the Pocket 4K? Any chance you could post a shot with it wide open focused on something at infinity in this thread?

I didnt use a quick release plate. Just the plate
    Dustin Uy-Filmmaker

Quote Originally Posted by kin869 View Post
    Off topic: Samuel H - How is your Rokinon/Samyang 12mm working on the Pocket 4K? Any chance you could post a shot with it wide open focused on something at infinity in this thread?
    I took some test shots and I found it's tilted, and also has some field curvature. I still have to repeat the test on my a6000 to check if it's the lens design or the lens+camera combination. I'll post on that thread when it's done.

OK, I finally got to mounting the p4k on the ZC properly, with motors on the left instead of my previous weird alignment.

I had to get rid of the little rubber pad on the side of the plate (not the main one, just the side one), unscrew the camera plate and screw it back upside down (so when the motor on the left it leaves more mounting space on the back and not the front), and add a bit of counterweight down there (just a tiny amount, because the left-to-right adjustment was maxed just before correctly balancing the camera).

It's perfectly balanced, and the ZC wakes up nicely with the motor on the left and not trying to get itself upside down or looking backwards or anything like that: it just powers up and gets into the proper position.

The only downside is that a couple of operation modes seem not to be available with this configuration: I can't use full follow mode, just pan-follow and locked. Flashlight mode works but upside-down probably won't (I haven't tried yet).

On the plus side,the camera is not upside down, and I have easy access to all the controls, and can swap batteries and cards without taking the camera away. It's good enough for me to wait until somebody brings out a p4k-specific gimbal (please DJI bring out a smaller vesion of the Ronin-S that's specifically tailored for the p4k).

edit: I just noticed that both pics are badly out of focus. It seems my phone is not great at focusing on dark gear. Anyway, you get the idea...

IMG_20181104_133514_2.jpg
    IMG_20181104_133600_2.jpg

I got a notice about a local store that has the Crane 2 with FF motor on sale. About $120 off.. It's tempting to go with it.
    Can the Crane 2 power the camera?

How do you guys feel the camera and the Crane 2 goes together, in terms of monitoring what you shoot?

The Weebill Lab is very interesting, but the size may be working against us as it seems a lot smaller not only for the actual gimbal but also the space for the camera to be mounted within. So the only real option is probably Crane 3? Around here it will be about double the price of the Crane 2.

Quote Originally Posted by dcloud View Post
    I got mine to balance using an L bracket with a 1/4" hole (less than $10). Its just a plate so its quite light. I took out the side bracket and easily shifted the pocket a bit to the left. Easy to balance and actually works well with metabones and 11-16

Thank you for this! I have one of these brackets collecting dust (I got it in a bundle at some point). This should work perfectly for me.