Thread: Lumix Lens OIS "Not Working" with BMP4K ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Lumix Lens OIS "Not Working" with BMP4K ? 
    Last Oct 4 I went to a BM event here in Texas to look and try out the BMP4K. I bought with me my GH4 and 12-35 f2.8 to try and test with. I placed my 12-35 lens onto the P4k and noticed that the OIS did not seem to have an effect, I let the BM guys there try it themselves and we compared it when attached to the GH4 which also does not have IBIS. The BM guys concurred that the images does seem to look stable when on the GH4 and not on the P4k.
    I also asked Kriss Hampton with Wex Photo Video in the UK, who posted his review on the P4k, link below, since he also used same lens and he concurred that "the OIS wasn't as effective as it usually is".
    Could this be because its version 1 of the lens?
    John Brawley mentioned in one of his forum posts that the Olympus 12-100 f4, which he used in the videos posted online, that the IS on the Olympus works well on the P4k. So is this issue only with this particular Lumix lens? Can this be fixed with firmware?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nf5Q...39332041000300

OIS on my 14-42 lumix works fine so far and i only tested that because it was my only native OIS lens

I don't have the 12-35mm f2.8 so I can't speak to it, but my Pany 42.5mm f1.7's stabilization works fine on the BMP4K

Quote Originally Posted by kin869 View Post
    I don't have the 12-35mm f2.8 so I can't speak to it, but my Pany 42.5mm f1.7's stabilization works fine on the BMP4K
    This is good to know as I also have this lens. I just didn't bring it with me during that time to test.

Quote Originally Posted by gfagien View Post
    OIS on my 14-42 lumix works fine so far and i only tested that because it was my only native OIS lens
    In your tests have you noticed a big difference when you turn it on and when it's off? This would be more noticeable when you zoom it on the long end at 42mm.

Quote Originally Posted by ted ramasola View Post
    John Brawley mentioned in one of his forum posts that the Olympus 12-100 f4, which he used in the videos posted online, that the IS on the Olympus works well on the P4k. So is this issue only with this particular Lumix lens? Can this be fixed with firmware?
    I don't have a camera in front of me to check (or that lens), but it used to be the case with some IS lenses that they only activated when rolling / recording. Might be worth checking that ?

The 12-100 certainly works well with it's IS and can be turned off via the switch on the lens.

JB

Max Yuryev discusses compatibly issues between the P4K & 12-35/2.8 at about the 4:00 minute mark in the following review.

Blackmagic Pocket Cinema 4K first Review - Beautiful but Limiting!
    by Max Yuryev

https://youtu.be/ju2Q1Tv-2Aw

Quote Originally Posted by Bern Caughey View Post
    Max Yuryev discusses compatibly issues between the P4K & 12-35/2.8 at about the 4:00 minute mark in the following review.

Blackmagic Pocket Cinema 4K first Review - Beautiful but Limiting!
    by Max Yuryev

https://youtu.be/ju2Q1Tv-2Aw

Bern,

I looked at Max's video in fact I have commented on it when he posted it, and that's exactly how it was, shown with his recorded samples at around 5:00 mark. Quite shaky, as if the OIS was not working. I had my GH4 with me and swapping between the 2 it was obvious.
    Last edited by ted ramasola; 10-12-2018 at 10:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Brawley View Post
    I don't have a camera in front of me to check (or that lens), but it used to be the case with some IS lenses that they only activated when rolling / recording. Might be worth checking that ?

The 12-100 certainly works well with it's IS and can be turned off via the switch on the lens.

JB
    Max's test posted by Bern, shows the shakiness I observed. So this shows that even when recording the IS did not seem to have an effect for the 12-35mm.
    Over at DVXuser where I also posted this issue, there were those that stated that the Lumix 42.5 f1.7 OIS lens worked, and also the 14-42mm F/3.5-5.6 OIS.

Perhaps Blackmagic, being a camera company that currently does not make their own lenses, should as an added customer service, try an collate a listing of which OIS MFT lenses are compatible and which are not. This is of course just a suggestion and would be helpful for those planning to invest in lenses for their camera. Personally, I had the 12-35mm because of my Gh4, so it doesnt hurt as much, but there are those who might purchase a lens after getting the p4k only to be dissapointed.

If not maybe members of this forum should contribute their own test results and the mods can post a sticky of list of OIS lenses that work. Just a suggestion.
    Last edited by ted ramasola; 10-12-2018 at 10:37 PM.

I have a few native lenses with IS that I'll test next week when my P4K arrives. One of them is a 100-300 zoom - that will really be a torture test, I've only ever used it in a Dual-IS set-up with the GH5.