Thread: Resolve and Focusrite audio

1. #1 Resolve and Focusrite audio 
    Since upgrading to Resolve 15 I'm getting playback errors in my audio - sounds like it's playing back at the wrong sample rate (I think).

Everything is set ok in my project settings - I have a BMPCC and everything is recorded 24P so nothing funky there.

All my other apps run ok (Cubase, MPC-HC etc) - it's just the latest Resolve.

I have a Focusrite Scarlett 214 (2nd Gen) running on Windows 10, machine is a Threadripper 1950x, 64 gb ram 2 x GTX 11080, so plenty of CPU and GPU to work with, and have done all the usual optimization for audio under Windows 10 - power management off, USB power management etc.

Any other Resolve/Focusrite users had similar issues?

If it sounds like a sample rate mismatch then it really might be.

Video equipment always defaults to 48Khz and Music equipment always defaults to 44.1Khz (or multiples thereof).

You may have a sample rate mismatch in one of MANY places; your audio interface SOMEWHERE, Resolve/Fairlight SOMEWHERE, Windows 10 operating system SOMEWHERE...
    I put all those in CAPS because I hate that mess...I've been using this kind of equipment for over 20-years and STILL I get jacked around by some hardware or app, or by Windows HIDING yet another place where the sample rate can be set.
    grrrrrr.......

I'd check there first. Even though "there" may take you two days to find.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

You may have a sample rate mismatch in one of MANY places; your audio interface SOMEWHERE, Resolve/Fairlight SOMEWHERE, Windows 10 operating system SOMEWHERE...
    Yep, Windows 10 is a nightmare, but I'd gone through all the optimization mentioned setting up Cubase.

I completely uninstalled Resolve 15 and did a clean install of Resolve 14 and audio plays back fine out of the box, no problems.

I did this cycle twice and each time Resolve 15 stutters, Resolve 14 ok, so rolling back to 14 for now ( at least I had a few days with 15 installed to have a look at the new BRAW :-) )

Not a problem for now, 14 runs great for me, but plan to get a P4K in the new year (hopefully when the rush is over :-)), so will need to get this resolved (pun intended) at some point.

Resolve v15 has certainly made audio setup more complex with the inclusion of Fairlight. I got no audio playback at all from 48KHz 24 bit .BWF format audio files until I did a full setup for Fairlight within Resolve. It definitely doesn't work "out of the box".

Quote Originally Posted by razz16mm View Post
    Resolve v15 has certainly made audio setup more complex with the inclusion of Fairlight. I got no audio playback at all from 48KHz 24 bit .BWF format audio files until I did a full setup for Fairlight within Resolve. It definitely doesn't work "out of the box".
    Same here.
    I wish the developers of everything would realize that burying critical settings like these can REALLY make it hard for the end user.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,

I started a project in 15.0 and audio was working fine with my Scarlett 18i20 until today; now there's no audio playback at all through the Scarlett. Weird.

Update: I switched the audio to internal speaker in the Resolve video and audio I/O prefs menu and selected 'use system setting' speaker configuration and it works now. The same process might fix sample rate sync problems too.
    http://www.gamma-movie.com The IndieGathering 2016 best Sci-Fi feature screenplay.

After a fair bit of uninstalling and installing of Resolve 14 and 15, it was the system sample rate and my Focusrite USB card.

My DAW (Cubase) automatically switches the sound card sample rate to what the project is set to when the app is launched - Resolve doesn't. So when using Resolve 15 (even in Exclusive mode) the sample rate has to be set manually to get correct playback.
    Curiously though, the Focusrite card needs both the sample rate and the buffer size to be toggled to effect a change.

Resolve 14 doesn't care what the system sample rate is though, and will happily output 48khz audio even when the system is set to 44.1.

Hard to tell where the problem lies, whether Resolve can't set the system sample rate or Focusrite drivers don't recognize Resolve or it's a Windows 10 issue, but at least I have a workaround.
    Last edited by cristo; 09-19-2018 at 04:05 PM.

So in other words, YUP...it's the ol' "Try to find which of the EIGHTEEN places you set audio specs" is the winner.

Ugh.... oh well... at least that's nothing new with computer based audio recording. And I say that like it IS a bad thing.

I have had a real bitch of a time getting Fairlight audio to play.
    And then any time I make any changes to the system, the audio stops and I have to chase it down again.
    This is not Blackmagic's fault at all... but it would be cool if they could add some kind of panel to Fairlight that would at least sort of visually organize all the potential audio pathways through the system.

So in other words, YUP...it's the ol' "Try to find which of the EIGHTEEN places you set audio specs" is the winner.
    That would be funny if it weren't so true :-)

I'll have an investigate over the weekend, there must be an app somewhere that can manage different sample rates in Windows 10...