Thread: iGPU

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    It’s sick that Apple made it so difficult to add RAM in the 21”, while it’s a breeze for the 27”.
    I understand your dilemma, but for me it’s a no-go. For the same reason I wouldn’t buy the ‘Pro’, even if it were much cheaper.

The 570 GPU is no slouch either, Apple left those crappy mobile GPUs from the older iMacs behind and gave them acceptable desktop versions. 4GB VRAM won't be too limiting until you need heavy processing of 4K, for which the eGPU then should be a solution.
    Getting a refurb 27" with the 570, should be all I need for the near future. Thunderbolt 3 allows for egpu in the future if I need it and would probably build a box with vega 64 or gtx 1080 if supported. Thanks for the help. Completely dismantling a computer to swap ram is a no go for me. If they would just put an access hatch on the 21", the mid tier one might work.

I think you'll love it, the screen is fantastic (it's the same as LG's flagship 5K). If you are planning to get into Fusion as well, it may become very important to add RAM by yourself. I went from 16 to 32 when 15 arrived.

And with Thunderbolt-3 you will have all the options. There are already other eGPU enclosures and you can choose freely which card may be good bang for the buck once you need it.
    See egpu.io fur more info.

Donīt want to start a new Mac hardware thread.
    A friend of mine has the opportunity to get this thing for a good price:

Apple MacBook Pro 11,3 Retina - Core i7 4850HQ 2,3 GHz 16GB RAM / 512GB SSD

Intel Core i7 4850HQ 2,3 GHz
    16 GB DDR3
    512 GB SSD
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M Mac Edition
    2880 x 1800 (220 ppi) "Retina" Display

Do you think this thing can handle "Blackmagic RAW 8:1 4K" files frotm ethe Pocket 4k. or ProRes 422?
    .. (1080p timeline would be fine)

Or what about this one:

https://www.apple.com/macbook/specs/

The "normal Machbook".It is listed in:
    DaVinci_Resolve_15_Configuration_Guide.PDF

(limited perfomance). hmmm. Any Apple users who can recommend an "Macbook" or "Macbook Pro".
    And from which year? (Also which version.)
    Which one is ok, which one to avoid? (maybe something for under 2000 Bucks)
    Last edited by S_Berger; 09-16-2018 at 07:10 AM.

Well, the current MBP 13" with some extra RAM plus the eGPU will make a nice setup. It ran quite well in my tests even with UHD ProRes. A refurb one should be under 2K even with the eGPU.

Other than that, go for the top model with 4 GB VRAM, but that will be well over 2K.

Thanks

Did a test now with a MBP 13" which only has the Intel GPU. It is challenged and only get's close to RT in a HD timeline just playing back, no CC.
    But since the CPU is not at the limit and my iMac uses both CPU and GPU to play BMraw, I'm sure it'll work with a better GPU or really well with the eGPU.

Thanks again!