Thread: iGPU

1. #1 iGPU 
    Here's a new goodie, BM branded eGPU from Apple. https://www.apple.com/shop/product/H...lackmagic-egpu

Modest gains for high spec machines and adds some real number crunching for lower spec machines. Mostly it's a dock on steroids, there is a lot of functionality on that one cable.

Really quite interesting but is it only usable via thunderbolt 3?

Yes. TB2 is too slow for any serious speed gains with a GPU.
    While it's not the fastest GPU in the market, it'll make a nice Resolve machine together with a 2017 iMac with the same GPU (always a good idea to pair two identical ones with Resolve) instead of the overpriced iMac Pro.
    And you can take it on the road for some work in Resolve with an underpowered MBP.

Curious about how well resolve runs on the rx580 on pc? You would think it should be just as well if they are tuning for it on Mac. To be fair I've always been a Mac guy, but money is tight and they guys I work with cut on pc's so wonder if I should go that route, I could put two of those cards in a tower for less than the external box, and the rest of the build would be less than even the most basic iMac, especially if the ryzen processors are good enough. Need to make sure my good old 30" Cinema Display will still run...

Dop16mm, I think you will be disappointed with even 2 580s. I am on a duel xeon as I type this which I threw a 8gig 570 in just to make sure I could run a 4k, a 2k (10 bit) monitors and small 32" 1080 tv. I use this machine for cpu raytracing, very little nle. If I were going to grade in Resolve a couple of times a week I would pull it and go to at least a 1070 to drive the monitors and a 1070ti. When I put the 570 in I was running a 390x 6gig that was loud, hot and I was afraid would have not carried the load. (Correction, wasn't carrying the load.) I took a slight hit in rendering but turned down the noise and heat considerably. In hind sight I should have just picked up another 1070 (which I have in another box with a 5960).

I second that. If you already have a good screen, you can build something better for the money as a PC or Hackintosh.
    There's a reason why they sell that box via Apple. Maybe we get good performance with Mojave and Metal soon, but only time (and those who have one) can tell.

Yep you can build 18 core i9-7980XE Hackintosh for $3-4K today and overclock it to 4.4 GHz if needed. But not sure if that extra CPU power helps in Resolve too much.

6 Core i7-8700K Hackintosh with dual GPU and Quick Sync support for h264 decode/encode is better option possible around $1k depending of GPU.

Add Asus Thunderbolt PCI-e card and you can plug that external GPU or Raid.
    Last edited by shijan; 07-14-2018 at 10:39 PM.
    All my custom made accessories for BMMCC/BMMSC now available here https://lavky.com/radioproektor/

Resolve folks said best core count and clock you can afford, favor cores over clock,
    it does mutli thread very well, but only uses the cores for decodeing / encodeing & some OFX, most everything else is on the GPU
    as to GPU's they have mentioned using the single best GPU you can afford, then up the game with mutiple GPU's most folks using more than one GPU are useing GTX1080Ti's or Titan Xp's

Here is some real world testing.

In a nutshell: If you on a small underpowered MacBook, and you run Resolve, you see some huge benefits.
    Everything else, not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Glencairn View Post
    Here is some real world testing.

In a nutshell: If you on a small underpowered MacBook, and you run Resolve, you see some huge benefits.
    Everything else, not so much.
    But you'll need TB3 and most MacBook pre-2017 only has TB2.