Thread: Faking Actor Driving a moving vehicle

1. #1 Faking Actor Driving a moving vehicle 
    Hey guys, I thought I'd share my experience trying to fake shots of an actor driving a moving vehicle on a tiny budget. Have you tried this? What solutions did you find worked well?

Actors driving is a big problem. You don't want to take any chances, driving is difficult enough as it is. Combined with working with a small budget we needed a solution to help create the illusion actress Tonia Nee was driving a 1989 Jeep Cherokee.

Using the usual method of a low loader was out of the question on a budget this small.

For anyone into cinematography here's how we used a polystyrene board covered in black fabric to cut out sky reflections. This worked great for close ups. To complete the illusion of the Jeep driving we used a second reflector board covered in Rosco silver stipple to bounce sunlight into the vehicle. As the shot progressed we rotated the board back and forth to create moving reflections (think sun bouncing off a wristwatch onto a wall).

The final trick was for a couple of people to give the vehicle a big push now and then to add a few jolts. We discovered this worked best between spoken lines, but we made sure the jolts were random.

Fortunately, the scene involved the vehicle being full of bags, which we used to cover the windows.

Assembly Required is a comedy drama following the story of Theo, a modern day Viking warrior, live action role player and miniature wargamer. When his old gaming group (now criminals) spot Theo training in a field, they realise they could use his sword skills in their latest heist!

http://kck.st/2La7UCY

Nice work, quite the setup for a pocket
    I would love to do some actual driving shots though someday. But afraid the camera will drop off, I dont trust those magnetic presssure clamps(or afraid it will damage the carpaint when I rent some supercar). I guess I will have to wait until a big enough production comes along

I'm done with low loaders, too much hassle, and a police problem here in Germany.

We do most of our driving scenes indoor, with cheap TVs outside of the windows (pre blurred footage), and a projector for light effects.
    Works like a charm, super controlled backdrops/scenery/time of day.
    Also I can use a jib arm to move the camera around.

If you are on a tight budget, you always can use greenscreen - or bags

Thanks
    Pocket for a few reasons, mainly that I had the choice between upgrading the camera and having the funds to shoot the next few scenes, hence we've tried out Kickstarter to see who this film connects with.

Love the idea of a projector and TV setup. I remember them using that in a weird episode of Start Trek where they put tvs up against a shuttle window to make the other characters believe the shuttle was flying through space... that was actually part of the story.

I suppose those tvs have to be pretty massive though? Do you ever find that the black levels (tv black looks grey on film) give it away or do you use OLED, so some kind of special lighting?

This movie already has too many vfx shots, around 70!! So I had to be firm and force us to think of other methods.

No OLED, just the cheapest and biggest (for the money) no name TVs we could find.
    I think they are 49"ish. Depending on your camera angle and movement you need 4-5 - hiding the gaps is a bit tricky though, and may involve postproduction in some cases.

No problems with black levels so far.

Good to know. Always curious to see examples of your work!