Thread: Red Raven

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Check out the Ursa Mini Pro by Blackmagic Design.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Finnigan View Post
    I personally won't buy a camera for planned features that aren't implemented. Same reason I don't pre-order
    Smart man.
    Aaron Lochert

Quote Originally Posted by stevesherrick View Post
    4. This is mostly for the younger shooters out there. Never go in heavy debt for film gear. Get something you can afford, when your skill level outgrows it and you've saved up enough money, take another step up. Outgrow that one, make lots of money with it, then take another step.I'm not a firm believer in getting out of college and buying a RED or an Alexa. If you are rich, or uber talented and already in high demand, then I suppose you can, but I find that young shooters who are doing amazing work with cameras like GH5, BMPCC, etc. are building their reels without going into huge debt. When you are in demand, you'll get production to pay for any camera you want to shoot on. Just takes time and experience. No one needs a RED right out of the gate to make something worthwhile.
    Geoff Boyle is spot on. I've seen that happen with a young start up production company who started out with Canon 60D and then after a few lucrative gigs suddenly jumped up to a RED MX, everything suddenly gone expensive but the content standard remains much the same. Their clients seek out cheaper alternative and this production company had to cut back, buy a GH4 as the main camera but all too late. They lost many of the gigs.

Quote Originally Posted by Taikonaut View Post
    Geoff Boyle is spot on. I've seen that happen with a young start up production company who started out with Canon 60D and then after a few lucrative gigs suddenly jumped up to a RED MX, everything suddenly gone expensive but the content standard remains much the same. Their clients seek out cheaper alternative and this production company had to cut back, buy a GH4 as the main camera but all too late. They lost many of the gigs.
    That's just bad business. They could have charged their existing clients the same rates while they continued to find new opportunities (for more money) and pay off the camera. Most people would like the best quality possible for their clients, but usually end up upgrading for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Taikonaut View Post
    Not only that be most people get blinders and forget it's not just a one time investment.. you need to invest that much every 3-5 years again as well. Once you go higher it's a never ending haha

We've been testing cameras.. There are only three that meet our needs.

Ursa Mini Pro, Red Scarlet W (or Above), Alexa Mini. All the others are just slightly lacking in features whether it's frame rate, 8 or 10bit only, or 4:2:0, no raw etc. I also don't consider Kinfinity due to it's lack of acceptance.

Here are my final concerns with the Ursa Mini Pro which I posted here as well: https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/v...hp?f=2&t=64604

I'm an original URSA Mini 4k owner here, How does the build quality of the UMP Compare? mine the paint scratched off super easy, lots of spots missing paint now. I've also seen the aftermath of one dropped/hit and seen how weak the metal casing is as it destroyed the SDI board and BMD considered it non-repair able and had to be replaced.

Any comments on it? Has anyone's paint come off on the UMP? Anyone dropped one or know someone who has

If you go with the S-W, I have a brand new/sealed RED Mini-Mag reader (USB 3.1/3.0/eSATA) for $145 if interested. Save $50, lol.

(Still in the FedEx box.)

We've been testing cameras.. There are only three that meet our needs.

Ursa Mini Pro, Red Scarlet W (or Above), Alexa Mini.

Here are my final concerns with the Ursa Mini Pro which I posted here as well: https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/v...hp?f=2&t=64604
    Well go Alexa of course! I doubt the finish of the Mini Pro is any different than the other Ursa's. I'm not sure if they've reinforced the side rosette by now. You probably want to cage this camera out anyways for protection and gear.

Quote Originally Posted by TheInternet View Post
    Well go Alexa of course! I doubt the finish of the Mini Pro is any different than the other Ursa's. I'm not sure if they've reinforced the side rosette by now. You probably want to cage this camera out anyways for protection and gear.

The Alexa mini is insanely expensive.. You ain't getting one much under $100k used (kitted) the body is like $45k. I think the magnesium was the wrong choice for the body of the Ursa, It is light.. and cheap though..
    Last edited by Jason Finnigan; 09-20-2017 at 10:53 AM.

The Alexa mini is insanely expensive.. You ain't getting one much under $100k used (kitted) the body is like $45k. I think the magnesium was the wrong choice for the body of the Ursa, It is light.. and cheap though..
    Then if the UMP is too cheap and the Alexa Mini too expensive, then Scarlet W or Varicam LT probably best bet. Varicam35 has been gaining some traction. The LT has a lot of what that offers at lower price point. I think Scarlet W if some of its negative attributes don't bother you. It's a great camera. and probably best bang for your buck in the RED world.

Or buy 2 UMP if you need a backup for reliability issues. Lots of choices between $5-20K. Ultimately only you know what will work for your needs. But at that budget, I'd be looking Scarlet W or Varicam LT.