Thread: Switched from RED to Blackmagic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Switched from RED to Blackmagic 
    Hey guys and gals,

I am a new user here on the forum and a new Blackmagic customer.

For the past few years I have been making indie films up in Edmonton, Canada.
    I write and direct lots of short films (usually romance) and shoot a tonne of fashion films as well.

Been shooting on RED Epic-W and Sony FS7 for the past number of years. Recently made the switch to Blackmagic as
    I've been so impressed by the value the company is providing its customers.

My new setup:

A cam: Ursa Mini Pro G2
    B cam: BMPCC 4k (mostly for gimbal work)

Anyways, just wanted to introduce myself and say hi.
    I love chatting about cinematography, writing and directing.

Cheers!

DC Brandon

Quote Originally Posted by DC_Brandon_Films.com View Post
    Hey guys and gals,

I am a new user here on the forum and a new Blackmagic customer.

For the past few years I have been making indie films up in Edmonton, Canada.
    I write and direct lots of short films (usually romance) and shoot a tonne of fashion films as well.

Been shooting on RED Epic-W and Sony FS7 for the past number of years. Recently made the switch to Blackmagic as
    I've been so impressed by the value the company is providing its customers.

My new setup:

A cam: Ursa Mini Pro G2
    B cam: BMPCC 4k (mostly for gimbal work)

Anyways, just wanted to introduce myself and say hi.
    I love chatting about cinematography, writing and directing.

Cheers!

DC Brandon
    Welcome to this forum.

I have to say this forum has been very very quiet of late. For some reason there was a lull in approvals of new users. I'm a mod, but have no control over the activation of new users. I know of many PM's from users who had tried to get access here months ago and couldn't seem to get approved. (but could send me endless PMs about it for some reason !)

I'm guessing that's changed, as evidenced by your post. Also, FYI, BMCUSER is owned by the same people that own REDUSER and DVXUSER...they just haven't been as good at the housekeeping.

As I mentioned, it's been really quiet here of late.

The official BMD forum is a pretty nice place to ask more technical questions and you can often engage directly with BMD staff there. It's certainly closely monitored for issues. It's a real name forum which I think makes a bit of a difference.

There's also a facebook group for the Ursa Mini Pro that is also pretty healthy and helpful. The two biggest pocket 4K facebook groups are pretty unruly I have to say. I had to unjoin for a while because of personal attacks and errr...sheer stupidity. There's a lot of slagging and sledging and it's a bit less supportive and tends to be more cutthroat and less willing to help a fellow out.

One thing you may wish to consider as it's not a stock item is an aftermarket OLPF..

You can get one here
    https://rawlite.com/

No relation or sponsorship, I have bought five of them from Hans and they work great. He has some pretty interesting news coming soon...stay tuned...

You can also get one from
    http://www.mosaicengineering.com/pro.../bm/umpro.html

They also seem good, but I've not personally used one.

I'd also say the majority don't use them and they work great without them too. It depends a little on the style of shooting you do. You may notice the difference more because RED tend to have very "heavy" OLPFs....Your 4.6K G2 is going to look a lot sharper than your RED.

I have a great affection for wooden camera for accessories, only because they were local to me when I was working in Dallas and Ryan is a nice guy. I like being able to talk to the designers. I bought a DBOX from them (well, again actually I bought five) and these have been great for really making them more production friendly. It converts the LANC into a proper RS remote roll (if you use a preston or WCU4 ETC) and gives you regulated and protected power outputs. Otherwise it can be easy to short out an SDI monitor.

https://woodencamera.com/products/d-...a-mini-v-mount

There's been some good discussion around media lately (not as heated as reduser), BMD have an "approved" list you should consult closely. Whenever I see media problems with the BMD cameras, 99% of the time it's not approved media OR it's the card reader.

Goodluck and feel free to ask away as you have questions...

JB

Welcome DC Brandon!

John, thanks for explaining why the forum seemed like it was dying. Also, thanks for all the great info you just gave.

Hey there Brandon!
    www.lightformfilm.com
    https://vimeo.com/suwanchote

follow me on instagram @lightformfilm

First of all, i will confirm the previous stated post - i had to wait 2-3 months for my account approval... This has really been hurting the dvx-red-bmcuser community... Anyhow... welcome!

Eh! We got another one!

These forums are pretty dead. Check out the groups on Facebook.

Blackmagic Ursa Mini/Pro/Broadcast Users is where the grown-ups chat politely. But if you want some real fun, come over to the kid's table at the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K Community group. It's like the Wild West, but instead of cowboys and guns it's just nerds with passive aggressive insults.

A welcome from me too.

Personally I try to stay away from FB groups for two reasons:
    1. normal discussion forums like this here make it possible to discuss and share information which can be found later via a search function or a google search. It is like an archive of all the collected knowledge available to the public. Facebook is like a closed circle and all the time you can't find information because it is buried somewhere in that crappy interface. FB is like a forum with ADHD, because that's their business model.

2. as John and others mentioned, FB groups are a much more hostile environment.

Since you are into fashion (with all the textile patterns), I'd wholeheartedly second getting the Rawlite OLPF.
    You might be in for some nasty surprises as a former Red owner without it.
    I came from Red too, got a BMPCC HD and an UMP G1 now.
    Last edited by Nomad; 07-26-2019 at 07:02 AM.

Welcome guys!
    Disturbing to hear about the account approval time.

Been waiting since 2018 to post and finally got accepted yesterday! Hello all. Coming from FS5/7 to UMP. Tons of questions about exposure with Braw but tests and reading will fill in the blanks I'm sure.