Thread: Poor man's Angenieux - Tokina AT-X-Pro 28-70mm F2.6-2.8

Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2129303132 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by RomanStone View Post
    I have the Nikon version. However, thee AF ring gets stuck from time to time (It's a push mechanism, there's a ring around the barrel you pull it towards you to switch to MF and push it back up to switch to AF). I have no idea what causes this, as the ring is able to turn left and right but pulling it down becomes impossible, even with a sheer amount of force. I have to play with it for a while to get it back to manual focus. Anybody else have this problem?
    This is a common problem for Tokinas in general, I worked in a rental house that had a range of these. And EVERY single lens with the push pull focus clutch, developed this problem. If you pull on the ring, and spin it to the very end of the focus range the clutch will catch and will allow you to actually get to MF.

Quote Originally Posted by crevice22 View Post
    I’m having a tough time figuring out if any of the canon versions on eBay are the correct version or not. Most of them say 2.8 on the lens and not 2.6-2.8, which makes it hard to identify. I believe some that say 2.8 on the lens could be the correct version, but I’m not sure how to find that out. If any one can help me out, I would really appreciate it.
    Sorry I was incorrect.

Japanese market lenses were marketed as f/2.8. Exports were 2.6-2.8.

The lens should be ATX-PRO I or II. The II had an anti dispersion element and better coatings.

Avoid SV models of 28-70.
    Last edited by GeranSimpson; 05-12-2019 at 01:27 PM.

I know there has already been talk about adapters, but I wanted to continue the discussion on that. i got a Ver II recently with Nikon mount. I have other lenses with Leitax mounts and was wondering if there was a similar solution for this lens. I'm looking to permanently convert the mount to Canon EF. I really want to avoid any play in the mounts. I've had issues with that on other lenses that were simply adapted with friction mounts. Any suggestions for specific products? Thanks!
    RED Monstro 8K VV "Baymax+"
    BMPCC4K
    Tokina Cinema Vista Primes
    Leica R

The evolution of Tokina 24 (28) -70 (80) /2.8 (2.6-2.8) lenses (Info was autotranslated from this review http://radojuva.com/2017/02/tokina-a...-at-x-270-pro/ ) :

Tokina AT-X AF 28-70mm 1: 2.8 - orange rim near the front lens, filter diameter 72 mm, focusing is not internal. Window focusing distance. The name on the box is Tokina AT-X 270 AF.

Tokina AT-X PRO AF 28-70mm 1: 2.6-2.8 (1: 2.8) - marking ‘1: 2.8’ for Japan, marking ‘1: 2.6-2.8’ for other countries, filter diameter 77 mm, internal focusing. Screw hood. Without a window of focusing distances, a gold border near the front lens. The name on the box is Tokina AT-X 270 AF PRO. You can distinguish by these signs.

Tokina AT-X PRO 28-70mm 1: 2.6-2.8 (1: 2.8) - marking ‘1: 2.8’ for Japan, marking 1: 2.6-2.8 ’for other countries, filter diameter 77 mm. Externally similar to the previous version, but only near the front lens there is no “Tokina’ ”inscription, and a bayonet-type hood. Usually the version is called ‘AT-X PRO II’. The name on the box is Tokina AT-X 270 AF PRO II. You can distinguish by these signs.

Tokina AT-X PRO 28-80 1: 2.8 Aspherical - focus scale window, golden border near the front lens. The name on the box is Tokina AT-X 280 AF PRO. There is a subversion with a gold plate with the name of the lens and other illumination.

Tokina AT-X PRO SV 28-70mm 1: 2.8 (also called Tokina AT-X 287 PRO SV) - easily recognizable by the prefix ‘PRO SV’. The name on the box is Tokina AT-X 287 AF PRO SV.

Tokina SD 24-70 F2.8 (IF) FX AT-X PRO Aspherical - easily recognizable by the focal length values. It has a built-in focusing motor. The name on the box Tokina AT-X 24 ~ 70mm F2.8 PRO FX
    All my custom made accessories for BMMCC/BMMSC now available here https://lavky.com/radioproektor/

Maybe a little off topic info, but looking at https://tokinalens.com/about/history/ i found 20-35mm f/2.8 lens from 1990s that in pair with 0.58x Speedbooster may be perfect for S16 cameras. From reviews those lenses are ok, but image may be different from Angenieux/Tokina 28-70 look https://kenrockwell.com/tokina/

1994 Tokina AT-X 235 AF PRO 20-35mm f/2.8 (use aspherical lens elements) http://radojuva.com/2012/10/obzor-to...-pro-20-35-mm/
    1981 Tokina AT-X 35-70 f/2.8 (classic manual zoom lens, front element rotates while focusing)
    1981 Tokina AT-X 24-40mm f/2.8 (classic manual zoom lens, front element rotates while focusing) http://radojuva.com/2013/01/obzor-to...mm-f-2-8-at-x/
    All my custom made accessories for BMMCC/BMMSC now available here https://lavky.com/radioproektor/

Quote Originally Posted by RJ Ortiz View Post
    I know there has already been talk about adapters, but I wanted to continue the discussion on that. i got a Ver II recently with Nikon mount. I have other lenses with Leitax mounts and was wondering if there was a similar solution for this lens. I'm looking to permanently convert the mount to Canon EF. I really want to avoid any play in the mounts. I've had issues with that on other lenses that were simply adapted with friction mounts. Any suggestions for specific products? Thanks!
    Also interested in this but haven't found much...

Leitax makes a Nikon F to EF mount that screws on top the F mount, to convert the lens to EF.
    Cheers

Selling my two Tokina 28-70 2.6-2.8 lenses. One is Canon Mount and the other is Pentax mount with Canon adapter ( has manual aperture ring ). If someone is interested pls PM .

Anyone know if the EF version functions via a metabones or viltrox adaptor?

I use the EF with the XL