Thread: Best wide lens tokina or rokinon.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Good observations, Bright Tangerine matte boxes all will Support 14mm lenses and sometimes wider if you are not actually using filters as you may be able to push the lens further into the opening if you're not using the clamp adapter that fits the lens snugly. There is a small gap between where the filter glass falls and the opening so that might help. I've been told wider lenses may be able to be used, but BT only stands behind their 14mm spec. Bino, you have the Misfit Atom I think, so you might see how far you can go with a filter. Or put the screw-on filter on the lens and only use the matte box as a shade and then it will likely work.
    Last edited by rick.lang; 03-29-2017 at 11:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bino View Post
    EYu,

It doesn't vignette at all. I'll shoot at 11mm 4.6K 4:1 Raw by the end of this week and post an image on this forum. The only thing that I don't like is that it's too wide for my 4X4 matte box. It's usable on a 4X4 matte box from 16-20mm.
    Thanks Bino. That's good to know about the 4X4 in 4.6K. Is 11mm okay with 4X4 on a 4K tho? I just have to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by EYu View Post
    Thanks Bino. That's good to know about the 4X4 in 4.6K. Is 11mm okay with 4X4 on a 4K tho? I just have to ask.
    That's a good question. I'll test it this week. I only tried the full sensor.

Quote Originally Posted by jimagine View Post
    For the record, the Rok 12mm has statndard 67mm threads and has no filter issues.

It also cuts well with the Sigma 18-35 as does the Rok 85mm and 50mm in my xperience.

Are you sure about this? The BH page says it has none and the photos show it doesn't have any threads at all.

Perhaps the discrepancy may be due to the fact that there are two 12mm Rokinon lenses with different maximum aperture and image circles I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasHennessy View Post
    The lens is too wide. Shooting 4.6k 2.40:1 it doesn't vignette, but the angle of view is so wide that it sees the inside of the matte box.
    When using a lens this wide, you really need a 4x5.6" matte box and filters. Especially with the 4.6k sensor.

I use a Vocas 435 which has three 4x5.6 stages. I can use a Tokina 11-16 with three 4x5.6 filters and it doesn't vignette (see the matte box) right down to 11mm. I can nearly get away with one 4x4 filter when it's nearly touching the lens; there's no vignetting from 12mm onwards.

Quote Originally Posted by trispembo View Post
    When using a lens this wide, you really need a 4x5.6" matte box and filters. Especially with the 4.6k sensor.

I use a Vocas 435 which has three 4x5.6 stages. I can use a Tokina 11-16 with three 4x5.6 filters and it doesn't vignette (see the matte box) right down to 11mm. I can nearly get away with one 4x4 filter when it's nearly touching the lens; there's no vignetting from 12mm onwards.
    My post was referring to the Rokinon 10mm and it's screwy lens hood. I only use 4x5.65 filters. It's the lens hood that causes the problems with this lens.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasHennessy View Post
    My post was referring to the Rokinon 10mm and it's screwy lens hood. I only use 4x5.65 filters. It's the lens hood that causes the problems with this lens.
    Ah, ok. Wow, that's a serious design flaw. What's the point of a lens hood that is visible to the lens?

Well, and filter is probably in front of it…

You correct that flaw with a hacksaw after carefully protecting the lens front element. It works if you have nerves of steel.