Thread: URSA mini alternative?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by misterkofa View Post
    I understand the feeling, but the URSA 4.6 is solid. I'm hearing of it being the first camera that's widely respected from BM.
    If it works I can see why people say that. It's just the chance of getting a bad one is why I'm being hesitant. All the negative reviews at B&H are not very reassuring.
    I simply can not afford to put down close to 10 grand for a camera and then end up with a potato.

Quote Originally Posted by 4saken View Post
    If it works I can see why people say that. It's just the chance of getting a bad one is why I'm being hesitant. All the negative reviews at B&H are not very reassuring.
    I simply can not afford to put down close to 10 grand for a camera and then end up with a potato.
    That won't be the case and it shouldn't be viewed that way. You will receive warranty, and if their is something wrong, BM will most likely replace the camera (which I've read numerous accounts of them swapping cameras that do appear faulty).

Quote Originally Posted by Liam View Post
    That won't be the case and it shouldn't be viewed that way. You will receive warranty, and if their is something wrong, BM will most likely replace the camera (which I've read numerous accounts of them swapping cameras that do appear faulty).
    If I'll be spending this much money on a camera I don't want to be jumping through hoops like this. With a $1000 camera, yeah totally. But not when I'll be spending ten times more.

If I'll be spending this much money on a camera I don't want to be jumping through hoops like this. With a $1000 camera, yeah totally. But not when I'll be spending ten times more.
    That's fair enough, but I don't agree. You take that gamble with any piece of technology that you buy, no matter how proven it may be.

Quote Originally Posted by rick.lang View Post
    EYu, raw will be available in at least nine resolutions as will ProRes with the release of the pending firmware 4.0. So you get your wish for raw HD, but so far no raw 2.5K.
    Great news Rick. Having raw in HD will be a very big plus already. Now the big question. Is firmware 4.0 for the 4.6 only? That's because I'm looking at the 4K version of the mini.

I'm pretty confident that the magenta corners is a temporary issue. Not undermining the frustration early adopters go through, but whether your camera is replaced or improved up on with new FW, I don't think anyone who has purchased a Mini or will purchase a Mini has much to fear in the long run.

As of right now, it's incredibly hard to measure up to what the Mini is offering for the price or quite a bit beyond it. The whole ecosystem together makes shooting a dream. The physicality of the camera, the perfect synchronicity between the EVF down to the shoulder kit makes the experience hard to want to give up.

But the image the Mini produces is the reason you get a camera like this. Between the popular options right now within DSLRs, Canon C series, any of the Sony F series and RED for that matter... it still looks the most cinematic to me. And even if that's not your main concern— color, skin tones, all the latitude from this new sensor provide you with an image that's hard to beat.

Then you get a candy store of options in terms of Raw compression ratios, ProRes flavors, resolutions, frame rates, that it becomes glaringly obvious just how much other cameras simply can't compete with the overall "utility" built into the Mini. If any camera was a Swiss army knife, then this must be it.

It's hard to not sound like a fanboy once you've used it, but it really is the best balance of features, image quality and value that can be had right now. There are issues, maybe more so than a potential Sony or Canon you could be shooting on, but they seem to be 1) likely to be fixed with a FW update 2) far more rare with the new bodies that are being shipped out already.

I'd see if you can get your hands on one. Whether you rent it for a day or whatever, just to see for yourself what it's doing.
    Test footage Vimeo page: https://vimeo.com/romanalaivi

... All the negative reviews at B&H are not very reassuring.
    The bad reviews are just daunting to new buyers, specially those who have never been introduce to any BMD cameras. I have a couple of DP friends who are used to RED and Canons and are steering me off getting the URSA not because they do not know about it, but because of all they read in those negative reviews. But I tell them... that's the 4.6K cameras, not the URSA or URSA mini 4K which I'm more interested in. But the perception has been set. I don't how much of an impact this will be owning an URSA.
    Last edited by EYu; 06-07-2016 at 10:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Liam View Post
    Yeah... but what a hassle. Paying for something and then having to deal with warranty and returns. Not everyone may have your patience on big ticket items that can be faulty. But as I said previously, this is a negative perception that has an impact for owners of URSA (and other BMD products) in the circle of the industry. I just hope not coz I'm a BMD fan.

Quote Originally Posted by EYu View Post
    Great news Rick. Having raw in HD will be a very big plus already. Now the big question. Is firmware 4.0 for the 4.6 only? That's because I'm looking at the 4K version of the mini.
    My bad! Yes, all those resolutions are for the 4.6K sensor in firmware 4.0. Sorry, I slipped up thinking you were interested in 4.6K.

Quote Originally Posted by EYu View Post
    The bad reviews are just daunting to new buyers, specially those who have never been introduce to any BMD cameras. I have a couple of DP friends who are used to RED and Canons and are steering me off getting the URSA not because they do not know about it, but because of all they read in those negative reviews. But I tell them... that's the 4.6K cameras, not the URSA or URSA mini 4K which I'm more interested in. But the perception has been set. I don't how much of an impact this will be owning an URSA.
    Those who own REDs shouldn't be casting stones...