Thread: difference between angenieux 17-68, 17.5-70, and 12-120?

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    Thanks, I have not tried the 15-150, good to know. I am having good luck using my S16 Suoer Speeds with the 17.5-70 (the 12 and 9.5mm) with the Angie, while not an exact match, they can be fairly well matched up in post. The old Kinoptik or Angie primes are a better match, but good luck finding any at a decent price!
    Cheers

Hello.

I just received my angenieux 17.5 - 70 and its .7 retro attachment. Oh, man, they are so pristine. To think I'm just one year older than the lens...
    Now I'd like to get step-up rings for both the lens and the retro attachment to use my 77mm ND and UV filters. Rafcamera is selling one for the lens, but the retro attachment is much wider and I can't seem to find any information on its actual thread size. I asked both Rafael from rafcamera and Kenneth from Whitehouse AV, but they don't know either.

I think someone (Truemotion, Denny Smith, maybe) here got the .7 retro attachment, too? Does he or she know its thread size?

Thank you in advance.

I got the step-up ring from Ralfcsmera, works very nice. I do not have the .7 retro attachment, still th king this one through.
    You need to,try and get the front ring diameter and thread pitch (thread pitch should be same as the lens) then maybe one could be found or made. You could contact SK Grimes in Maine US, and send them the .7 adapter to get a step-up ring made, theynare a custom photo machine shop/service, specializing in making one off bits like this.
    Cheers

I also can't say for sure, but the 12-120 has a 72mm front thread, so if accessories like filter holder lens shades were made to cover multiple lenses it might be the same. It's unlikely that it's not a standard size, might be 67, Chinese step rings are cheap enough to just guess and find out.

I have a 10mm Schneider arri mount that I've not been able to filter due to non standard size. 52mm is too big, 49mm is too small, but that lens was designed for cameras that used external filter holders. Angenieux zooms always used screw on because the front element turns in that era.

I tried my 72 to 77 step-up ring and it doesn't fit just for a bit.
    I just measured the diameter (duh) and it seems to be somewhere around 67. I hope it's not some non-standard size.

Thank you, Denny and dop16mm!

The thread pitch may be different. This is the case on tha Angie zoom lens front filter ring threads, so a standard adapter ring would not fit correctly.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Smith View Post
    The thread pitch may be different. This is the case on tha Angie zoom lens front filter ring threads, so a standard adapter ring would not fit correctly.
    Cheers
    Oh. Of course, it's never the easy solution.
    I guess I'll contact Rafa and check if he can custom-make one for it.

Thanks, Denny.

That is what I would do. Yiu could send him the screw on lens cap to measure also.
    Cheers

They are not all non standard, my 12-120 uses a standard 72mm thread, I have a bog standard 72mm uv filter on it, and the original screw on cap in front of that. Now I don't have the 17-70 so can't say what it has. Unless you are in a hurry, I'd just order a 67mm step ring from China and find out, they cost like $1, you can always get better once you know the size for sure.

I tried this with the Angie 17.5-70 and a standard Tiffen Filter ring adapter, and while is sort of fit, it was not the correct thread pitch.
    The Angie focal adapter is going to be the same pitch as the lens, but a larger diameter, so standard if,Trf ring adapters are not likely to fit.
    Cheers