Thread: SLR Magic 25, 50 and 85 APO HyperPrime Cine Set

Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20282930
    Thanks Kosmokrator! The 82mm filter thread consistent with the 25 and 85 is good to hear.

The 22" minimum focussing distance is a little disappointing when the average Cine spherical 32/35 lens generally has a minimum focussing distance of 12-16". I was hoping this lens would make up for the rather pedestrian minimum focussing distance of the 50mm (2' compared to the 1.5' average). Can't have it all I suppose though! The plus side is that generally means that there will be a lot of throw in the closer to infinity focus areas. Having a really close minimum focussing distance tends to eat up quite a bit of your 300 degree throw.

As long as the image holds up with the rest of the APO line, particularly with regards to purple fringing, (the 25mm lags behind the other APO's here), I'll still be happy! Just gotta keep that 12mm extension tube handy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kosmokrator View Post
    That's right. Minimum focus will be at 22" (a bit less than 2').
    And of course a 82mm filter thread.

I asked Andrew if there will be a second version of the 50mm (with 82mm filter thread and realigned focus gear) and he said that they are thinking about it.
    Very good news. Of course the 50mm should be redone to keep the set consistent for those who are considering a set next year. I think a lot of people have been discouraged when they see the set doesn’t include a 32/35mm prime, but next year, that’s not an issue.

PBowen, there are so many trade-offs in a design. I think SLR Magic has wanted to keep the housing consistent and the performance reasonably consistent so those longer MODs may be a consequence. One certainly isn’t going to want to get too close to a face, but for those special extreme closeup shots, it seems you have the solution! I’ve also asked SLR Magic to do a macro lens in the area of a 100mm lens. John Brawley would like to see a 65mm macro that might be ideal for shooting talent closeups. Macros tend to be heavier, larger and expensive, so not sure if and when that ideal lens will appear.

Quote Originally Posted by rick.lang View Post
    PBowen, there are so many trade-offs in a design. I think SLR Magic has wanted to keep the housing consistent and the performance reasonably consistent so those longer MODs may be a consequence. One certainly isn’t going to want to get too close to a face, but for those special extreme closeup shots, it seems you have the solution! I’ve also asked SLR Magic to do a macro lens in the area of a 100mm lens. John Brawley would like to see a 65mm macro that might be ideal for shooting talent closeups. Macros tend to be heavier, larger and expensive, so not sure if and when that ideal lens will appear.
    I'm totally with you on the idea that lens design is all about compromise! It's a point that I've echoed in discussions many a time (with the caveat that I have no personal experience in optical design). Having a closer minimum focussing distance for the 32 was just wishful thinking on my part to help make up for the minimum focussing distance on the 50.

A macro lens would be awesome to get those ECU detail shots that can at times be difficult to achieve with the current lineup. Personally, I feel a 100 macro would be a little too long for general use (particularly with Super 35). It would be fantastic for insects and the like though. For my uses, I think a 65 would be an awesome 'happy medium' focal length for macro and ECU work. A little bit of compression, but not too much. That said, I'd be interested in either of those focal lengths as a macro.
    Last edited by PBowen; 09-21-2017 at 03:34 PM. Reason: clarification

So just for my clarity...the 50mm focus ring is not the same position as the rest of the lens line up?
    Darren Scott
    Freelance Director/Director of Photography

https://vimeo.com/jambredzvisions/videos

Quote Originally Posted by jambredz View Post
    So just for my clarity...the 50mm focus ring is not the same position as the rest of the lens line up?
    Yes, the focus gear of the 50mm is off by ~ 2mm.
    Last edited by Kosmokrator; 09-22-2017 at 02:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kosmokrator View Post
    Yes, the focus gear of the 50mm is off by ~ 2mm.
    Thanks
    Darren Scott
    Freelance Director/Director of Photography

https://vimeo.com/jambredzvisions/videos