Thread: Possible interchangeable mounts for 4.6K?

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Possible interchangeable mounts for 4.6K? 
    I was watching Grant's video and noticed you can remove the PL mount pretty easily. Does anyone think this will open the door for third party interchangeable mounts?
    Screen Shot 2016-03-19 at 3.50.59 PM.jpg

The PL mount has a flange distance of 52mm, and my nikons have a flange distance of 46.5mm, 5.5mm doesn't leave much room for a mount, unless part of the mount could be protruding into the cylinder.

At the IBC last year some well know guy from BMD told me that they are thinking about other mounts. Especially F-mount. But personally I think the best solution for another mount or the best mount besides PL would be E-mount, this would be really great. (adapts everything, speedboosters) But I don't know how the legal situation with Sony would be.
    Editor | Colorist | Photographer
    www.floriankohlert.de
    @flokohlert

Quote Originally Posted by flokohlert View Post
    At the IBC last year some well know guy from BMD told me that they are thinking about other mounts. Especially F-mount. But personally I think the best solution for another mount or the best mount besides PL would be E-mount, this would be really great. (adapts everything, speedboosters) But I don't know how the legal situation with Sony would be.
    First, there's physical limitations with E-mount prior to legal ones. Not quite sure if the concept of flange distance is obvious but usally you can only adapt larger flance distance to shorter one. So this could only work if you either remove some of the flange distance when removing the PL mount or let the adapter protrude through the PL mount (which could work as PL has an diameter of 54mm and the inside of Nikon F 35mm (can't find the outside diameter but that might indeed work).

But I really doubt that you could fit the 18mm flange distance within the 52mm of PL. The camera would literally have to swallow half of the lens in order for this to work. So I'm pretty ok with EF, you still can adapt Nikon F to this, as well as vintage Leica R, Olympus OM and Contax lenses.

Regarding adaptations small flange distance mounts are best, so one could argue that theoretically going with E-Mount in the first place would have been a good option, but that indeed might be due to legal issues.

Sony is Not going to license a E mount to another camera maker -- end of story.

Since PL FFD is 52mm, B4 is 48mm, and Nikon is 46.5mm, Canin EF even less. So yiu can not put a shorter lens mount FFD on a longer FFD lens turret. The 4.6K and the 4K. Mini PL have the same lens turret. So the question that has not been answered since the release of either UM, i.e. What the exact FFD of the turret actually is. Until you get this info., everyone is only guessing if even a Ni,in F mount (let alone a dumb EF) can be bolted on the turret. Lest say the B4 mount is 4mm thick, that would make the turret 44mm, the. If ypu could make a 2.5mm mount, it would work with a Nikon F mount, but not the FD. If the B4 mount is only 2-3mm, then there is not enough FFD on the turret to allow a Nikon F mount. You need at least 2mm for the mount thickness to attach to the turret. Next!

Yes !

The PL FFD doesn't matter if you take the mount off does it.

So yes, in theory, anyone that want to make a mount can !

I already have had Panavision make one up for me for PV mount :-)

And yes, e mount will never ever happen. Only because Sony only want Sony brand E mount cameras out there.

What we need is a BM version of the too expensive IMS mount.

jb

Yes John! Yiu are correct. I was referring to what the possible FFD was of the turret was, after the PL mount is removed. My point was a lens mount FFD has to be greater than the turret FzfD, it mounts to to get the correct lens mount to sensor FFD. Thanks
    DS

I don't get what you're saying. The PL turret on the 4.6K works the same way. You just remove the lens mount as if you were going to reshim the turret, but put a different mount on it ?

JB

Thanks John, yes, I get that. But which. Out you could put on it (UM PL) depends on the remaining distance to the sensor from where the lens mount/shims are attached.

Perhaps I am using the wrong term here, for what I was referring to as the lens mount turret, is the bit the sensor and lens mount are attached to, not the lens mount itself. On the Big Ursa, BM calls this the lens mount turret assembly, which is an intergrated sensor and lens mount assembly. On the Mini PL, the PL lens mount is removeable from the sensor turret. I was asking what the FFD is of this assembly is, once the PL mount is removed. Since the B4 mount is 48mm, this has to be about 46mm or less? If it is closer to 44mm, than a Nikon F mount (46.5mm FFD) would be possible. Thanks.
    DS

OK.

Well as far as I know you bolt the PL mount turret assembly onto the front of your Ursa.

Then, like you would on an Ursa mini, you undo the 6 hex bolts that attach the PL mount to the turret assembly which is attcahed to the Ursa and put something else on.

It's functionally the same as the Ursa Mini, at least the PL one will be. There's no FFD....

JB