Thread: Cheap and simple remote to set automatic focus and start recording

1. #1 Cheap and simple remote to set automatic focus and start recording 
    I am in search for a cheap and simple remote to control the focus of the Blackmagic Production 4K camera and to start the recording. Is it possible to control it via laptop and a software? Or is there any gadget that will do the job?

The problem is I want to film myself with this camera and I dont have an external monitor for the cam.

Any tips?

I know you can use LANC to start/stop recording. You could also use manual focus and set your depth of field and focus distance to where you will be standing/sitting. If you're doing that, you don't even need the remote. Just do what we did in the old days of video: hit record, walk into your shot, do your thing, then walk out and hit stop. Then just trim your shot in the edit.

Quote Originally Posted by jtfarabee View Post
    I know you can use LANC to start/stop recording. You could also use manual focus and set your depth of field and focus distance to where you will be standing/sitting. If you're doing that, you don't even need the remote. Just do what we did in the old days of video: hit record, walk into your shot, do your thing, then walk out and hit stop. Then just trim your shot in the edit.
    yeah that sounds good, but you think it would be sharp then? i cannot check if the position is sharp when no one is sitting there its also bad to sit another person there because i have to remove the cam/tripod always before/after filming ...

If possible, use lighting and stop down...you'll have more room for focus. If you're by yourself and you want shallow DOF, you'll have to try your best with the above advice and not move much.

ok will try it out - maybe it will work ...

but just in case: anyone know a good remote for the BMC where i can set focus?

Any decent lens will have focus distances marked on it. Do it the old-school way and use a tape measure to get the distance between the focal plane on the camera and where you will be standing. Light properly, and use a DOF chart to make sure you have enough focal depth to ensure you are sharp.

Quote Originally Posted by jtfarabee View Post
    Any decent lens will have focus distances marked on it. Do it the old-school way and use a tape measure to get the distance between the focal plane on the camera and where you will be standing. Light properly, and use a DOF chart to make sure you have enough focal depth to ensure you are sharp.
    okay thanks for the tip!!

and is there any software (official or unofficial) to control it via laptop or so?

like Canon's Remote app?

Quote Originally Posted by redWORX View Post
    okay thanks for the tip!!

and is there any software (official or unofficial) to control it via laptop or so?

like Canon's Remote app?
    Not in the same vein as the Canon Remote app. My point is that if you take the time to set it up properly, you don't need an app. Too many people rush the setup and try to get good results. The more time you spend in pre-production, the less you need to spend in post.