Thread: Blackmagic URSA Viewfinder working on the BM Cinema Camera

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Yes, the Hyperdeck Shuttle uses the same BMCC power plug. That said, Atomos makes a SDI to HDMI converter that has a built in battery and is only slightly larger than the Sony L battery, it uses in addition to the internal battery. If you use a L battery plate for camera, you can place the converter between the battery and plate. I have one, works great.

Senior Member Peter J. DeCrescenzo's Avatar

Thanks Peter...

BMCuser Sponsor
    Just tested Ursa viewfinder on my Red Dragon.

Wow.

What a fantastic EVF.

What works:

Takes higher than 12v in (Ptap was putting out ~15v)
    23.98p sdi input from dragon
    Frame guides
    False color
    Peaking
    Focus magnification
    Focus chart
    B&W mode

What didn't work
    Film/video gamma conversion
    Tally (well - I didn't check because I don't use this feature)

11917737_168141666856898_1569101411_n.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by DanKanes View Post
    ... What didn't work
    Film/video gamma conversion ...
    Thanks for the detailed report, Dan!

Question 1: When you say the VF's "Film-to-Video" feature didn't work, was it because it's not possible using the VF's menu or buttons to turn it on/off, or rather that it isn't effective (or not effective enough) converting a RED's log-ish image to a Rec.709-ish image?

Question 2: Is the URSA Viewfinder's included mounting bolt 1/4? or 1/3"?
    Last edited by Peter J. DeCrescenzo; 09-18-2015 at 05:14 PM.

BMCuser Sponsor
    Hi Peter:

1. I think the VF gamma switch function works via a communication protocol to the camera body - meaning - it tells the Tap to send film gamma or video gamma. It's not a single preloaded look up table that lives inside the viewfinder (at least my first investigation would lead me to believe as such.) Since the Dragon is not meant to take the command protocol this gamma switch does nothing on non-BMD cameras.

2. The tie down screw is a 3/8" Camera screw standard - instead of 1/4"-20 camera standard. This is good because it's the "other camera standard" personally I'm looking forward to the Wooden Camera mod, or personally modding th viewfinder myself to give it longer power and sdi leads and more mounting options. I didn't dismantle it yet, but just wanted to do a very quick test with one of my cameras, might have time to put it on alexa and a sony next week.

What I will say - this is a world class viewfinder. I may end up putting s piece of tape or a tiny toggle switch in place of the light sensor, and I want to get a little eyepiece protector cap to protect it from direct sunlight down the barrel

Quote Originally Posted by DanKanes View Post
    1. I think the VF gamma switch function works via a communication protocol to the camera body - meaning - it tells the Tap to send film gamma or video gamma. It's not a single preloaded look up table that lives inside the viewfinder (at least my first investigation would lead me to believe as such.) ...
    Thanks again for your first-hand info; much appreciated!

If you have an opportunity, I'd appreciate it if you (or "thegregferris") could double-check the detail about the URSA Viewfinder's "Film-to-Video" feature when used with a non-URSA camera or other HD-SDI video source.

I agree that URSA cams will be able to control certain URSA VF features via a data signal embedded in the SDI, but another URSA VF owner posted they were able to toggle the Film-to-Video feature using the VF's own menu -- without an URSA camera.

Since this is early days and people are just now getting acquainted with this new VF's features, it would be fantastic if we could nail down which features are "universal" and which require an URSA. For example, many BMCC & BMPC-4K owners (I'm one of the latter) are especially hoping it's true that Film-to-Video is a feature of the VF itself. If possible, let us know what you find out. Cheers!
    Last edited by Peter J. DeCrescenzo; 09-19-2015 at 10:51 AM.

Here's a couple of things to clarify how the EVF works and some of the information it expects/needs from the camera for some of the features to perform as intended:

First, we intend for the user/camera to send a Film signal from camera with overlays for the front SDI set to OFF (unless recording ProRes Video). This way, all features of the EVF are generated in the EVF itself and exposure tools are calculated based on the Film signal before the Film to Video conversion done in the EVF.

• Peaking - sensor and ISO dependant. This is generated before frame guides and overlays so as not to be added to them.

• Zebra - sensor and ISO dependant. Threshold follows the camera percentage setting.

• False colour - sensor and ISO dependant.

• Film to Video - sensor and ISO dependant. This is applied after exposure tools like zebras/histogram.

• Frame guides - generated on the EVF and follows the currently selected guide from camera.

Most of these features should have a "default" if never plugged into a camera that talks to it, but then they may not be useful for another camera.
    Blackmagic Design
    My BMD LUTs.

**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainHook View Post
    ... • Film to Video - sensor and ISO dependant. ... Most of these features should have a "default" if never plugged into a camera that talks to it, but then they may not be useful for another camera.
    Thanks for your post, CaptainHook.

Question: When a BMPC-4K or BMCC is set to RAW recording mode, and an URSA Viewfinder is connected to the cam's SDI Film output, can the VF be set to Film to Video mode and the VF's OLED display appear as approx. Rec.709?

In other words, can the URSA Viewfinder's Film to Video mode be useful/effective with a BMPC-4K or BMCC when shooting RAW? And when recording ProRes/DNxHD Film?

EDIT: Apparently the answer is "No"?
    Last edited by Peter J. DeCrescenzo; 09-20-2015 at 11:37 PM.

It would require an update for those cameras to add EVF support.
    Blackmagic Design
    My BMD LUTs.

**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**