Thread: Film School (coming from Dentistry)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hey guys, thank you so much for the array of responses. It's pretty re-assuring to see that age really isn't a factor , and is very touching to hear some of your own personal anecdotes.

With regards to my parents, it's actually my dad who is pushing for me to go to Fi;m School when I have the finances in order, so they're pretty supportive in that respect, they just wanted me to have a stable fall-back (dentistry).

Marriage wise, I'm still in a state a 'flux' when it comes to that side of my life, so I likely won't be settling down until I'm in my mid-thirties. And like Dan Pears said, I'm looking for someone who is also from an artistic background. In my year at Dental School there were 60 girls and 10 guys. 5 years on, you couldn't pay me to marry any one of them. They're all nice people, but the pre-conception of Dentists being very dull people, is unfortunately very true (from my point of view at least).

As Tim Hole (good to see a fellow Scarleteer again, lol) knows, I've been lurking in the shadows for quite a while now. I'm lucky in the sense that I've now got a stable job, and time.

Having weighed it all up, and drawing from all of your responses, I'm thinking the best thing to do right now is to establish myself as a Dentist over the next 2 or 3 years, do my USA conversions, and use my free time to build up some practical experience and a decent portfolio to strengthen my chances at film school.

I've got the Blackmagic Micro Cinema Camera on order. (It's everything I was hoping the Scarlet would be, haha) Planning on using it push myself grading and editing wise.

Like you said Tim, I'll be older and wiser (hopefully). What excites me is the idea of being immersed in film making 24/7 and being a melting pot of creativity. You see a lot of great writer/director/producer pairs or groups come out of film school together.

Please DO keep me in mind if you need an extra pair of hands on set

Thanks again for all the replies. Hopefully I'll be a little more active on these forums over the coming months

Kudos to your dad. Apologies for my underestimating him! You are blessed.

It doesn't quite make sense to me to go $200,000 in debt in order to do two more years of school, only to have to get a job as a dentist to pay it back and THEN go to film school -- especially if you are saying that you have your heart set on film school and don't really see yourself becoming a dentist. That's a lot of time and money spent building up to something you do want to do.

That being said, in my opinion Film school is incredibly expensive and they are teaching an outdated model for success in the film industry. A lot of people go hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt going to film school, only to finish and find themselves in a similar place to where they started. As others have said, film school allows you the time and space around like minded people in order to create work. However, in the end the best way to get into the film industry is to literally just start making films, and keep making them.

I tend to agree as long as you are in a market area where you can easily find like-minded people to be part of a production. However i think we are underestimating the importance to Ameer in relocating to the USA. He really feels dentistry will be key to achieving residency. I think the UK is a wonderful source of creative people and probably the best pool of acting talent in the world. Not sure I'd feel compelled to leave that at any cost.