Thread: Ursa 4.6k major vs. Ursa 4.6k mini

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Giambrone View Post
    When's the last time you saw a 2 and a half hour comedy?

Like ever???

I can only think of one. Any guesses?
    waterworld came close at 135min

that movie cracks me up
    Darren Levine

he shoots, he edits, he frequently rants
    http://mediahalo.com/p/dlevine

Quote Originally Posted by rick.lang View Post
    What resolution are you delivering? The highest frame rates are windowed 2K or HD.
    That's a good point. The mini can give you 160fps with 1080p windowed mode. Which camera do you like?

Quote Originally Posted by rizibo View Post
    That's a good point. The mini can give you 160fps with 1080p windowed mode. Which camera do you like?
    I liked the functionality and upgradeability of the URSA when it was announced last year and may have purchased it although I had personal reservations about using that weight on anything but a considerably expensive tripod. However once the URSA Mini was announced, I was almost in tears (love can do crazy things to you, can't it) seeing a camera that was so functional but so light. So I'm in the process of ordering the URSA Mini 4.6K EF camera with the accessories plus lenses and so on! My interest in quality digital cinema cameras began so many years ago when Red was just beginning and talking about their revolutionary camera. After three years waiting for promises to be fulfilled, I gave up on Red. Now three years waiting for BMD, to build my field of dreams. Higher frame rates are lower on my priority list than global shutter, but the most recent feedback on the rolling shutter indicates that having that as an option may actually be usable in many situations. I'm starting modestly probably downscaling ProRes to 2K/HD until the next Mac Pro is released. I hope that's not a three year wait too! Then I'll shoot primarily raw full sensor.

Quote Originally Posted by rick.lang View Post
    I liked the functionality and upgradeability of the URSA when it was announced last year and may have purchased it although I had personal reservations about using that weight on anything but a considerably expensive tripod. However once the URSA Mini was announced, I was almost in tears (love can do crazy things to you, can't it) seeing a camera that was so functional but so light. So I'm in the process of ordering the URSA Mini 4.6K EF camera with the accessories plus lenses and so on! My interest in quality digital cinema cameras began so many years ago when Red was just beginning and talking about their revolutionary camera. After three years waiting for promises to be fulfilled, I gave up on Red. Now three years waiting for BMD, to build my field of dreams. Higher frame rates are lower on my priority list than global shutter, but the most recent feedback on the rolling shutter indicates that having that as an option may actually be usable in many situations. I'm starting modestly probably downscaling ProRes to 2K/HD until the next Mac Pro is released. I hope that's not a three year wait too! Then I'll shoot primarily raw full sensor.

It is funny I also didn't get the ursa initially (not because of weight because the frame rates initially were not high enough) and I am also waiting for the new mac pro (there might be an announcement in June). I think you and Talkanaut feel the mini's light weight make it easier to maneuver and this is the only thing which makes the mini more compelling than the major. Cikaziva makes the argument that if you have a good tripod head then you will not have any problems. Since I have an O'Connor 100 tripod head (which is old but relatively inexpensive and I think it can handle up to a 100 pound camera) I should be able to make smooth pans and tilts. I personally don't like narrative films with shaky images from hand holding the camera. The nice thing is that if you want the ultimate run and gun camera then the mini is great and if you want maximum amount of features then you have the major. It is nice that bmd is catering to all of us.

Quote Originally Posted by rizibo View Post
    It is funny I also didn't get the ursa initially (not because of weight because the frame rates initially were not high enough) and I am also waiting for the new mac pro (there might be an announcement in June). I think you and Talkanaut feel the mini's light weight make it easier to maneuver and this is the only thing which makes the mini more compelling than the major. Cikaziva makes the argument that if you have a good tripod head then you will not have any problems. Since I have an O'Connor 100 tripod head (which is old but relatively inexpensive and I think it can handle up to a 100 pound camera) I should be able to make smooth pans and tilts. I personally don't like narrative films with shaky images from hand holding the camera. The nice thing is that if you want the ultimate run and gun camera then the mini is great and if you want maximum amount of features then you have the major. It is nice that bmd is catering to all of us.
    All roads lead to Rome. I'm glad you'll be fine with either camera. I just wanted the flexibility of using a tripod or my shoulder, and was waiting for NAB 2015 before making a decision either way (re URSA); once I saw the weight of the URSA Mini, I was convinced this would be kinder to my body. Young folks just may not quite appreciate that rationale, but in time they will be old folks and understand. Some weight is actually good to improve inertia handheld, but too much weight becomes a burden for some. I think URSA Mini has the sweet spot for weight. Although the total package price isn't cheap for those not living in the USA now due to the strength of the U.S. dollar, I do save significant money when it comes to the difference in tripod and head required to support the URSA versus the Mini.

Quote Originally Posted by imdjay View Post
    waterworld came close at 135min

that movie cracks me up
    Gotta admit, when it came out I was hoping for an action flick but...

Costner with flippers and drinking his own piss...?

Yeah I think that's comedy :P

It's the interchangeable sensor ( thus future pathway ) that's big to me. If for what ever reason you need a new sensor in there , you can do so with ease.

I know the mini sensor is not interchangeable but is it " replaceable "?. In other words if the 4.6 for whatever reason & whenever needs replacing with a 4.6 , can that be done? How hard ( & expensive) would that be? If so, that's worth considering

I could almost live with that.

Quote Originally Posted by southindie View Post
    It's the interchangeable sensor ( thus future pathway ) that's big to me. If for what ever reason you need a new sensor in there , you can do so with ease.

I know the mini sensor is not interchangeable but is it " replaceable "?. In other words if the 4.6 for whatever reason & whenever needs replacing with a 4.6 , can that be done? How hard ( & expensive) would that be? If so, that's worth considering

I could almost live with that.
    Of course, the URSA Mini 4.6K sensor is replaceable in the sense that BMD could repair a defective sensor. But it won't be a user upgrade and it may no be offered as an on demand replacement, just a warranty repair. If BMD does come out with a new sensor next year, depending upon what is new about it, there is no guarantee it will come in both the URSA and the URSA Mini. For example, if a lower noise floor with higher sensitivity depended on more cooling than the current Mini can offer or if frame rates went even higher, again the cooling or the processor in the current Mini may not be able to handle the improvements. It wouldn't surprise me that any new sensor (if there is a new sensor) will go into the current URSA body next year, but not the current Mini body for new Mini sales.

Why? ...why? ...Why?

Why couldn't they just put the interchangeable 4 screw mount on the front of the Mini?

[ QUEEN ] :- " I want it all , I want it all , I want it all ........ and I want it NOW!

Ursa mejor en sabado gigante!