Thread: My URSA handheld Rig

1. #1 My URSA handheld Rig 
    Hey guys, just thought I'd share the handheld config I have on my new URSA. I'll be using this camera for small indie films as well as commercials and features so I wanted to build a simple yet versatile handheld rig for this camera, especially because I couldn't find a lot of good options out there. The nice thing is it maintains compatibility with other dovetail based handheld rigs like the Mantis or Wooden Camera rig due to the Wooden Camera dovetail clamp.

It's built with SmallRig components, with Arri style rosettes. I'm really pleased with the quality of the parts, really well milled. Super solid and durable. The leather grips are really nice. This is something you can pull out on a big job and not be embarrassed by but still affordable enough for the weekend warrior.

I love the built in 15mm LW rods in the URSA, and that pass through allows me to attach the shoulder pad with 15mm quick release underneath, while still having a dovetail clamp attached to the camera. This makes transitioning from studio/sticks to handheld really fast. As well, I can fine tune the balance of the camera on my shoulder by sliding the shoulder mount along the rods.

This stuff is available on Amazon and honestly I couldn't recommend it enough. Not to mention once the official BMD EVF is released, this whole setup will be even sweeter!
    Andrew Brinkhaus | camera & gimbal operator / dop
    andrewbrinkhaus.com

This is pretty sexy, sir. Well done! Can't wait to do some rigging like this with my URSA when it comes; only I think I'd go EVF, which you plan on yourself.

The only thing that bothers me regarding the rigging of the URSA is that damn 10" monitor. Why not simply make it detachable so you can do as you are with the SmallHD? The need for EVF/additional monitor really shits me. I mean, that's four screens you have to carry! Just so unnecessary...

This needs to be fixed with URSA 2.0.
    Last edited by Somnio; 04-17-2015 at 01:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Somnio View Post
    This needs to be fixed with URSA 2.0.
    Isn't it called URSA Mini?

In all seriousness, while the large 10" screen is pretty silly, the overall weight is still less than that of an Alexa, which is a system I use frequently as well so I can't really complain. In most handheld situations, that extra weight actually helps to stabilize the shot, and keep things from getting jittery which can happen easily with a small camera.
    Andrew Brinkhaus | camera & gimbal operator / dop
    andrewbrinkhaus.com

I've heard mixed reception regarding its weight and how it may smooth out shots (whether it be shoulder-mounted or steadycam). The weight itself does not bother me so much as the principal of attaching yet another screen to an already bloated package. In the end I'm willing to deal with the issue in light of all the other amazing features, but since the announcement of the new sensor, this is one of my only remaining gripes with the camera.

Andrew, how are the clamps on that shoulder pad? My Lanparte follow focus has similar ones (open on one side so you can rip them off rather than sliding them off the rails), but the clamps jam sometimes. This doesn't happen with this should pad, does it?

This would be important so I don't have to slide the should pad off. I could just loosen the screws and pull straight down and remove the shoulder pad.

Great rig!

- I was just looking at the smallrig shoulder pad on Amazon - seems to have closed loop rod clamps - what model did you get?

Screen looks super-reflective.

So does that small HD from the first pic. It possibly looks MORE reflective. But I've seen both the Small HD and URSA 10" outside in the sun together, and the 10" does better in terms of still being able to see "something". But as I wrote in the other thread, sunhoods are to be expected with monitors outside unless your happy looking at clipped highlights with "hi bright" displays.

I tracked down all the shown items - at the manufactures website, then went to Amazon.ca to purchase.

The Collarbone 1292

The Shoulder Pad 1485

The Rosette Handle Pack 1244 - remember to order 2 units...

Ordered the items on Sunday - and got the box on Friday. Cost $391.35 CDN.

Well made...!

The tightening knobs on the leather handles - are a different design, when comparing Amazon.com to Amazon.ca...!

I'll get the new viewfinder when it is finally released. It's too hard to view the 10 inch monitor - when it is 3 inches from your face.

My eyes can't focus that close anymore...

Ken Cooper - Calgary

Quote Originally Posted by KenCooper View Post
    I'll get the new viewfinder when it is finally released. It's too hard to view the 10 inch monitor - when it is 3 inches from your face.

My eyes can't focus that close anymore...

Ken Cooper - Calgary
    To be honest, I'm thinking about getting an EVF and using it exclusively, as the 10" screen is nice but it's nowhere near accurate and I need something I can at least somewhat count on for a properly exposed image. I'll either use an EVF or my SmallHD monitor. I'd rather not put on another monitor though.

Glad to hear the gear is good. I'll be getting the shoulder pad at some point.