Thread: Hand held Rig or cage options for BMPC

1. #1 Hand held Rig or cage options for BMPC 
    Hello, I am in the process of getting a BMPC 4K, I donīt have experience with rings or cages yet. I will be using this hand held most of the time. An I need to add a mic as well. What are the best ring or cage options for this situation? hand held stability, Mic and audio. i have a zoom recorder, but I would prefer to record audio in the camera.

Best regards

Quote Originally Posted by maltess View Post
    Hello, I am in the process of getting a BMPC 4K, I donīt have experience with rings or cages yet. I will be using this hand held most of the time. An I need to add a mic as well. What are the best ring or cage options for this situation? hand held stability, Mic and audio. i have a zoom recorder, but I would prefer to record audio in the camera.

Best regards
    Your cage will be the most basic building block for your camera. Most cages for the BMPC don't vary all that much. Some have more mounting points, others wrap around the camera body a little tighter. The best way to customize the rig to your liking is to avoid the pre-built packages. Find a cage that has the proper amount of mounting points to meet your needs, and then buy parts separately. I bought a cheap cage from Amazon and have rigged it out with finer pieces of gear to fit what I need. The one thing I've noticed with cheaper cages is that they seem to be built from softer metals. Mine has lasted for a year, but the threads are starting to become stripped in the places I mount the most often.

To go handheld, I've attached my cage to the following rod system by Manfrotto. http://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-MVA5...eywords=sympla I attached the Manfrotto quick release to the plate from my tripod. This allows me to rig out my camera on the rails provided by the Manfrotto system, and then quickly detach to take if off the sticks.

Hopefully this helps.