Thread: Avengers 2 shot with BMPCC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    2015 Mythbusters sneak peek vid on their front page right now:
    http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/mythbusters/
    image.jpg

What lens is that on the back cam? Anyone know?

When someone is breaking the mold as BM did a couple of years ago by forging into the camera business without any of the "baggage" of the big guys - it allows for a little magic to happen (pun intended.) The fact that Metabones was able to develop it's most advanced SB because of it's unique design, and at the same time Sigma unveiled the 18-35...that was a serious confluence of events.

We coud shoot with any number of cameras, and as much as things like the new C100 with 60p and great functionality are tempting, I just don't see anything below the much higher end cameras delivering the overall look of the BMPCC with the Metabones. It's just amazing that an inexpensive, fairly elementary camera design ends up with a color science and dynamic range that makes it one of the better cameras developed - using IQ as the measure.

I genuinely think the BMPCC/MB/Sigma 18-35 combo is one of the best systems out there.
    Although I'm looking forward to an upcoming shoot with the new Cion, the first camera I've seen in a while that's got my attention like the BM.

Cion is essentially using the same chip right?

It's Arri > Red > Blackmagic in terms of video that most echoes the spirt of film. Sony and Panasonic users hate hearing that like no other.

And there's no doubt Sony and Panasonic put out amazing images. It's just a different aesthetic. We'll be shooting a training dvd (pool) soon and we opted for the gh4 because of that exact reason.
    Last edited by kiliksun; 01-08-2015 at 03:52 PM.

Not to get into any Sony, Panasonic flame stuff but I agree with your point about the aesthetic.

In the past year I've produced with each of those brand cameras except the Arri and my feelings for the BMPCC are what they are.
    I think the GH4 is an amazing piece of technology at a silly price for what it offers, just as the new C100 II is an amazingly complete production tool.

I didn't know the Cion was using the same chip but I wouldn't be surprised from what i've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Logan Gee View Post
    What lens is that on the back cam? Anyone know?
    My guess is that it is the Samyang 7.5mm M4/3 Fisheye?
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...C_Fisheye.html

There's another photo on their FB page that kind of looks similar. I'm trying to think of other lenses that have a red ring around them (Looks too small to be a Canon L Series or Cine Lens)
    10171006_10152144693293224_1378212456726629367_n.jpg

I do not think RED is in the spirit of film at all.

It has it's own look.

edited: horrible typing at work on my phone...
    Last edited by Sarlacc; 01-09-2015 at 01:41 AM.

Agreed, but it doesn't take a lot to get it 'there'.

Quote Originally Posted by kiliksun View Post
    And there's no doubt Sony and Panasonic put out amazing images. It's just a different aesthetic. We'll be shooting a training dvd (pool) soon and we opted for the gh4 because of that exact reason.
    With this...it depends on the Sony camera...Panavision Genesis, F25/35, and F65 are very filmic to me. The Fs700, F5/55, etc is much more HD than film. Really depends on which team of white lab coats Sony sticks on the project.

It looks as if the Mythbusters team are going to be utilizing both the BMPCC and the FS700 (I'm sure a Sony user will correct me there) as well as GoPro's for the next season of their show.

The next time I have a client complain that my camera "doesn't look big enough to be pro" I'll remind them that a respected TV show use them to shoot their episodes, and now that major Hollywood films also use them as B-cams.
    -|- BMPCC - GH2 - G6 -|- Tascam DR40 - HTDZ 320a - Rode Videomic - Shure PG58 - Azden EX503 -|-
    My Business