Thread: SmallHD DP4 as EVF?

1. #1 SmallHD DP4 as EVF? 
    I am considering the options for an EVF for the BMPCC. Two that I'm considering are the smallHD DP4 and Kinotechnik LCDVFE.

The SmallHD is the cheaper one, but it looks like the resolution is the same as the BMPCC's LCD screen - 800x480. It's a bit bigger at 4.3". Is this really a significant improvement? I have difficulty focusing on the LCD screen even with the focus peaking on as it's hard to see the green lines. I also noticed that it doesn't come with the EVF eye attachment out of the box and retailers don't seem to carry this anymore.

The other option is the kinotechnik, which costs a lot more. How is the weight of this? It uses AA batteries so I guess it may lead to the camera becoming top-heavy.

Any comments?

Had a dp4 as a EVF and did not like it. Way too big

The DP4 makes a nice monitor

Have you considered the Zacuto EVF? It's older sure, but it's very small, lightweight, and suits my needs with the pocket camera fine. Might be another option if budget is an issue.

Have the DP4 with the EVF. I end up using it as a monitor most of the time, but when I do need an EVF, its been great.

I own a DP4 EVF combo and, while the EVF is helpful in a lot of situations, I prefer using it as a monitor. I really have to peer around to see every corner because the screen is just too big to be used as an EVF. Like I said, I think it's a great monitor and the EVF attachment isn't bad; it's just not great. I think I'll probably pick up the Gratical LT at some point and re-purpose the DP4 as an AC monitor.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.Mitchell View Post
    I own a DP4 EVF combo and, while the EVF is helpful in a lot of situations, I prefer using it as a monitor. I really have to peer around to see every corner because the screen is just too big to be used as an EVF. Like I said, I think it's a great monitor and the EVF attachment isn't bad; it's just not great. I think I'll probably pick up the Gratical LT at some point and re-purpose the DP4 as an AC monitor.
    I use the DP4 EVF on all of my Cameras 5D MKIII/6D/70D/BMCC/BMPC...while also including the cheap SDI to HDMI converter sold on amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AYT76IQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I also use this $7.00 now $18.00 rod clamp with industrial velcro to mount the SDI to HDMI converter http://www.ebay.com/itm/DSLR-15mm-1-...item417424d84e

It's been well over 6 months of "PAID JOBS" using the cheap SDI to HDMI converter, and over 2 years using the DP4.
    I'm getting great results using the DP4, it just works!

I used to have the DP4 EVF and now have the Kinotehnik LCDVFe. They both have their pros and cons. I can do a more detailed write up later, but right now I'm on my phone.

In short:
    If you want a monitor + EVF combo, get the DP4 with the loupe.
    If You want a dedicated EVF, wait and at least look at the Zacuto Gratical LT once it is released.
    If you want an EVF that you can use as a monitor in a pinch (for low/high shots for example), or if you can not wait for the Zacutp Gratical, get the Kinotehnik LCDVFe.

Is the DP4 still available with the loupe? I don't see it on SmallHD's website either.

Quote Originally Posted by miwashi View Post
    Is the DP4 still available with the loupe? I don't see it on SmallHD's website either.
    Apparently the supplier that supplies the glass in the EVF has gone out of business and smallHD are looking for a new supplier. That's what I heard from the UK dealer.
    Adam Roberts
    www.adamroberts.net

I have a DP4 and think it's excellent. On the hunt for the EVF loupe myself.