Thread: Build Suggestions

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    They dont have built in GPU's but one thing I would also recommend if you can afford it is larger screens, I found 1080p very small for resolve. A lowish spec GPU would be fine for monitors.

Peter - you asked about a basic GUI card. Yes, a basic card can work for a GUI. However, my own experience has been that having a separate GUI card is barely noticeable. This might be because I have a Decklink card for program monitoring, but I don't think so. With Resolve's ability to "Optimize for playback", I suggest that you might spend your money elsewhere.

Also, having a second GPU card is, unlike some have suggested, much more than a "slight" improvement. With my setup and using BMPC4k footage (ProRes) in Resolve, a second card yields about a 25%-50% boost in performance on mundane stuff (e.g., blurs, LUTs, and primaries) and nearly a 100% boost on spatial noise reduction (something I ALWAYS apply). It helps with temporal NR, but only by 10%-33% in my tests with BMPC4k footage. If I were building a budget system today, I'd probably start with one 970 and then buy a second 970 as soon as I could. The second card could be the difference between full framerate playback and not, depending on the rest of your system and the type of grading you normally do. If you have the money, but just want to get by spending as little as possible, you can start with one card and see if you are satisfied with it. I took this approach. Problem was, they discontinued my card (GTX 780) about the time I was ready to buy another. I finally found a used one recently at a good price. You can mix-and-match (I used to have a GTX 770+GTX 780, which worked fine), but the "better" card will not be fully utilized in such a setup.

One other thing that was unexpected by me as I did my build based on the SuperMicro TRF-7047GR a little over a year ago: SATA connections go quickly. With 4k, you'll need a RAID. I use a 3 disk array. Add on an OS SSD, a project/work HD, and a DVD/Bluray burner and that's 6 SATA connections. To archive/backup to bare drives, I have two SATA connections used. I also have a dual SSD hot-swap dock installed to get footage from my BMPC/BMCC to the RAID. That's up to 10 SATA connections. Of course, some of that can be handled with USB 3.0 external drives. I was just surprised that my SATA budget would be so binding.

Senior Member Peter J. DeCrescenzo's Avatar
    Thanks to all for great info in the face of my newb questions!

Jason: Thanks much for all that! The bit about waiting to get the 2nd GPU card until later, and then the card is discontinued, is a risk I've been thinking about. Popular cards might be somewhat more available on the used market, but seems like a crap shoot. Also, given your experience working with BMPC-4K ProRes 4K footage, I may give serious thought to getting 2 GPU cards right at the start and be "done" with it.

And a question about software driver "reality": Do some component manufacturers have a better reputation/track record with making drivers that generally work well in the first place, and/or make new driver versions with fixes available more frequently?

What about "longterm" support (continuing to release new drivers for discontinued hardware)? Are some companies better than others?

Since I'm not familiar with the brand names, I'm curious if there's consensus about certain brands, or if Windows device drivers are still a wild west crapshoot like they used to be?
    Last edited by Peter J. DeCrescenzo; 01-08-2015 at 03:33 PM.

I 2nd Jason's advice Peter. Its either 2 cards or a Titan. I prefer Nvidea cards as they age most of the time you can find a match. Nvidea regularly update their drivers.

If you want to work efficiently in 4k with playback it means dual or Titan.

To the computer gods on here... in order to have smooth 4k playback, I should get a 2nd gpu? What about harddrives speed? I currently have two 3TB 7200rpm drive in raid0. Everything runs smoothly except for 4k raw, which is my main objective. On my PC, 4k raw is incredibly choppy in Premiere Pro and somewhat okay in Resolve.

My PC specs:
    Windows 7
    i7 4930K
    32gb ram
    GeForce 780
    256gb SSD (OS/apps)
    120gb SSD (cache)
    256gb SSD (previews/save files)
    2x 3TB 7200rpm HDD raid0 (assets/footages)
    2TB 5400rpm HDD (renders and non video editing related stuff)

So if I want smoother 4k raw playback, I should get a 2nd Geforce 780 gpu?
    Last edited by Somnang; 01-03-2015 at 06:06 PM.

Taking a Vacation
    Quote Originally Posted by Somnang View Post
    To the computer gods on here... in order to have smooth 4k playback, I should get a 2nd gpu? What about harddrives speed? I currently have two 3TB 7200rpm drive in raid0. Everything runs smoothly except for 4k raw, which is my main objective. On my PC, 4k raw is incredibly choppy in Premiere Pro and somewhat okay in Resolve.

My PC specs:
    Windows 7
    i7 4930K
    32gb ram
    GeForce 780
    256gb SSD (OS/apps)
    120gb SSD (cache)
    256gb SSD (previews/save files)
    2x 3TB 7200rpm HDD raid0 (assets/footages)
    2TB 5400rpm HDD (renders and non video editing related stuff)

So if I want smoother 4k raw playback, I should get a 2nd Geforce 780 gpu?
    If that 780 is only 2GB you're going to need a lot more juice for sure. Look at the posts above you. You'll need a Titan or 2 GPUs with 4GB each. Some guys are running 2 Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by vicharris View Post
    If that 780 is only 2GB you're going to need a lot more juice for sure. Look at the posts above you. You'll need a Titan or 2 GPUs with 4GB each. Some guys are running 2 Titans.
    Ahhh okay thank you! My 780 has 3gb. Time to start saving.

Last edited by Peter J. DeCrescenzo; 07-29-2015 at 11:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J. DeCrescenzo View Post
    Here's my 1st stab at a Resolve 4K shopping list. I'll probably buy Windows 8.x Pro, so add that to the list & cost, too.

As noted, I already own some of the components; the checkmark √ means I have to buy it. All prices are ballpark/approx. for discussion purposes.

Stupid RAID-related questions: In a system like this, is a software RAID likely to be adequate or do I need to buy a RAID controller card?, and does Windows 8.x Pro let me create a RAID array (such as RAID 5, etc.)?, and will it be really, really necessary for me to have a bigger or different type of RAID? If possible I'd like to have the RAID drives installed inside the computer case.

Let me know if you think there are glaring errors, and suggestions for a "bargain but OK" monitor with greater than 1080p resolution for Resolve's UI, and if I need to add a 3rd very basic GPU for Resolve's UI, etc. Thanks in advance!

The i7-5820k CPU will bottleneck your GPUs. Two GPUs require 32 PCI Express lanes (x16/x16) from the CPU, the i7-5820k only has 28 lanes. If you use two GPUs, then one card is downgraded from x16 to x8 (x16/x8). If you get a third GPU, then all cards are downgraded to x8 (x8/x8/x8).

The i7-5930k offers 40 lanes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
    The i7-5820k CPU will bottleneck your GPUs. Two GPUs require 32 PCI Express lanes (x16/x16) from the CPU, the i7-5820k only has 28 lanes. If you use two GPUs, then one card is downgraded from x16 to x8 (x16/x8). If you get a third GPU, then all cards are downgraded to x8 (x8/x8/x8). The i7-5930k offers 40 lanes.
    Thanks for this info, Bob! I've revised my post above and my shopping list.
    Last edited by Peter J. DeCrescenzo; 01-06-2015 at 08:20 PM.