Thread: new 5K retina iMac vs 8 core Mac Pro

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    I've been using the maxed out iMac 5k along side last generation iMac 27" (also maxed out) and I believe I have anywhere from 20-30% faster render times in Adobe Media Encoder and I get an average of 40fps exporting from Davinci resolve (2.5k DNG to 1080p ProRes) compared to 26-27fps on the older imac. I believe it will perform faster for single threaded applications and a little worse multithread than the last gen Mac pro 8 core. Geekbench gave me around 15100 points on their score.

Anyway, this is my experience with this machine.

does anyone have an update on resolve performance on the retina imac? i know kholi* (sorry, said captainhook initially) said he'd have some kind of review/feedback up but i haven't seen anything since. and how well does the 5k screen perform when grading without an external 10bit monitor? consider it a low-budget option, since grading will only be handled in-house if that's what the budget dictates.

also, another question for those in the know. how well would the entry level mac pro with the dual d300 gpus perform when it comes to working with 2.5K raw? and 4k raw? because of availability, I might have to stick with stock builds, in exception for ram, which i plan to order from OWC anyway. i know blackmagic recommends the 6-core and the dual d500s but i'm still curious how far one would be able to push the stock build.
    Last edited by django; 01-13-2015 at 08:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by django View Post
    does anyone have an update on resolve performance on the retina imac? i know captainhook said he'd have some kind of review/feedback up but i haven't seen anything since. and how well does the 5k screen perform when grading without an external 10bit monitor? consider it a low-budget option, since grading will only be handled in-house if that's what the budget dictates.

also, another question for those in the know. how well would the entry level mac pro with the dual d300 gpus perform when it comes to working with 2.5K raw? and 4k raw? because of availability, I might have to stick with stock builds, in exception for ram, which i plan to order from OWC anyway. i know blackmagic recommends the 6-core and the dual d500s but i'm still curious how far one would be able to push the stock build.

I've had mine for a week and a half. The colours looks pretty accurate to me. I have a 27" cinema display hooked up as well as my 2nd screen, some reason the video shows up with a bit less saturation but I'm not sure if that is a software or hardware thing?

Resolve screams on it, I'm only editing BMPCC footage but everything plays back in real time and it renders clips out at least 2x speed.

However I'm noticing Premiere is struggling, as soon as I add any effects to my clips it seems to slow down. Multicam is screwed and keeps lagging out, but it could be a software problem as lots of people have complained about it on the Adobe forum since last year and there still doesn't seem to be a fix.

I believe the R9 295X is faster than the dual d300's. However I'm pretty sure it should be fine to edit 2.5k on. Probably will do 4k as well, but it might struggle with 4K RAW.

Quote Originally Posted by Woop View Post
    I've had mine for a week and a half. The colours looks pretty accurate to me. I have a 27" cinema display hooked up as well as my 2nd screen, some reason the video shows up with a bit less saturation but I'm not sure if that is a software or hardware thing?

Resolve screams on it, I'm only editing BMPCC footage but everything plays back in real time and it renders clips out at least 2x speed.

However I'm noticing Premiere is struggling, as soon as I add any effects to my clips it seems to slow down. Multicam is screwed and keeps lagging out, but it could be a software problem as lots of people have complained about it on the Adobe forum since last year and there still doesn't seem to be a fix.

I believe the R9 295X is faster than the dual d300's. However I'm pretty sure it should be fine to edit 2.5k on. Probably will do 4k as well, but it might struggle with 4K RAW.
    hey woop, thanks for the reply. your retina imac is completely specced up? when you mention editing BMPCC footage, are you referring to raw or prores? working with 4k raw isn't necessarily the biggest factor for me, my priority is the ability to get realtime playback on resolve with the 2.5k raw with a good bit of grading.

what if the option was a stock retina imac vs an entry level 4c mac pro with dual d300s...which would have the upper hand?

Quote Originally Posted by django View Post
    hey woop, thanks for the reply. your retina imac is completely specced up? when you mention editing BMPCC footage, are you referring to raw or prores? working with 4k raw isn't necessarily the biggest factor for me, my priority is the ability to get realtime playback on resolve with the 2.5k raw with a good bit of grading.

what if the option was a stock retina imac vs an entry level 4c mac pro with dual d300s...which would have the upper hand?
    Yup I got the i7 and the R9 295X. I'm refering to Prores have yet to try RAW. When I'm rendering out graded prores footage I'm getting about 60fps, which is about 2.5x speed.

I reckon the Mac Pro would have a slight upper hand compared to the base model, but in saying that I would rather get the retina just because of the screen.

Only downside is that I've discovered there are some serious problems with Adobe products on the new iMac's.

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1626784 This is talking about Illustrator but I'm noticing the exact same problems in Premiere. When you grade in Premiere it can't even play it back but looking at my iStat menu's, it's not utilising the GPU and CPU like Resolve does when your rendering.

Hopefully Adobe gets their shit together because the project I'm working on has become a complete nightmare since Premiere is acting up.

Quote Originally Posted by cristiansoares View Post
    I've been using the maxed out iMac 5k along side last generation iMac 27" (also maxed out) and I believe I have anywhere from 20-30% faster render times in Adobe Media Encoder and I get an average of 40fps exporting from Davinci resolve (2.5k DNG to 1080p ProRes) compared to 26-27fps on the older imac. I believe it will perform faster for single threaded applications and a little worse multithread than the last gen Mac pro 8 core. Geekbench gave me around 15100 points on their score.

Anyway, this is my experience with this machine.
    What is your HD setup. What is your workflow. Do you have a TB raid or just an external drive. I'm running everything off of the internal disk and I think it's a huge hit to performance. I'm trying to figure out what to move to raid, working files, render files.

Quote Originally Posted by gj91 View Post
    What is your HD setup. What is your workflow. Do you have a TB raid or just an external drive. I'm running everything off of the internal disk and I think it's a huge hit to performance. I'm trying to figure out what to move to raid, working files, render files.
    I'm editing off the internal drive (3tb Fusion). It's coming down to Adobe haven't optimised their software for the new iMac. I stayed up till 2am last night finishing off a project that's due this morning to find that media encoder has completely messed up warp stabiliser and rendered out a error message on all my footage which doesn't show up in Premiere. Also multicam is completely broken, it gets stuck on a frame after about 15mins and starts flickering until you restart the program.

It's looking like I might have to go to Final Cut and re do these edits tonight

Not sure if anyone is having the same problems as me, but if you are thinking of buying a retina iMac and you use Premiere, then maybe hold off until they fix these bugs.