Thread: Question about HP EliteBook 8760w Dreamcolor with Premiere Pro CS6 / AE / Resolve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Question about HP EliteBook 8760w Dreamcolor with Premiere Pro CS6 / AE / Resolve 
    I'm about to buy another laptop. Is last year's HP EliteBook 8760w Mobile Workstation with Dreamcolor: i7-2860QM, NVIDIA Quadro 4000M (2GB ram), 32GB RAM and 2 HDD's/SSD's (only sata II) good enough to work with Cineform Raw or CinemaDNG in Premiere Pro CS6, AE, and Resolve?
    Last edited by adam777; 09-14-2012 at 02:40 AM.

I would think so. The Elitebook is a beast of a laptop, more so than the MacBook Pro, and I'm a Mac guy. I honestly see no reason for those applications to truly suffer. Will it be desktop performance? No. But will it be solid? Probably.

Is there a Thunderbolt option HP?
    I thought by now there would be more of this.

Hmm, I forgot about Thunderbolt not being there... That does make things interesting. As far as basic grunt goes, the Elitebook should have no problem, but the external storage will definitely be the bottleneck. Would need to be a good eSATA RAID.

Im on the same boat. I have an older 2009 17" Uni and will need an eSATA SSD Dock.
    Plenty of those around of course.
    Just put together a Retina for work with a Sonnet Echo Express Pro housing a Sonnet Tempo SSD Pro (dual SSD drive card) and RED ROCKET.
    The Retina is on order so I dont know what Ill be getting for workflow speeds.
    However I tested the Tempo SSD Pro with two Crucial M4 512 and got crazy speeds when both at RAID 0 (as one).

i am considering of buying the ASUS g75vw which SHOULD have thunderbolt port but as for now its just rumored of having it and actually it doesnt
    so i am patiently waiting , what do you think guys would it be strong enough ?

http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/Gaming...specifications
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread...untry=&status=

Quote Originally Posted by t.p. View Post
    i am considering of buying the ASUS g75vw which SHOULD have thunderbolt port but as for now its just rumored of having it and actually it doesnt
    so i am patiently waiting , what do you think guys would it be strong enough ?
    Don't know about exact specs but from what I ca see in German shops you can get a much faster machine for that money. Maybe look into Sager notebooks if they have thunderbolt, they use off the shelve barebones with pretty good displays depending on model, you basically just pay for the power inside. (I don't personally know Sager, it's just the equivalent business model to the German company I got my notebook from).
    Whatever you choose, make sure you'll have a SSD (120GB minimum) for the OS and stay away from 5400 rps HDDs.

Thunderbolt is completely overrated for professional video work flows on a laptop imho.
    It's no big benefit over USB3 (what the HP should have).

i disagree , i dont think thunderbolt is overrated , there is no comparison between 10gb data transfer ability and usb 3 - 480mb data transfer ability
    but there is no argue that as for now , thunderbolt is no where near fully supported and as for now the top speeds that thunderbolt devices can achieve is less than its full potential , but as the computer market will change and grow and than we will able to see its full potential

i suggest watching this video i think the guy explains it very well (its about thunderbolt on desktop motherboards but its the same principal :

Quote Originally Posted by t.p. View Post
    i disagree , i dont think thunderbolt is overrated , there is no comparison between 10gb data transfer ability and usb 3 - 480mb data transfer ability
    What laptop can even fully take advantage of usb3? No one is saying Thunderbolt isn't faster, but that doesn't do you any good if the computer itself isn't capable of those transfer speeds.