Thread: Good looking short film shot on the 2.5K

1. #1 Good looking short film shot on the 2.5K 
    Just came across this on vimeo, was surprised by the overall consistency / natural look and quality of the footage. Might be one of the best looking "real" BMCC films out there right now.

Test footage Vimeo page: https://vimeo.com/romanalaivi

Quote Originally Posted by Roman View Post
    Just came across this on vimeo, was surprised by the overall consistency / natural look and quality of the footage. Might be one of the best looking "real" BMCC films out there right now.
    To nitpick, i'm personally not at all a fan for blown out highlights. Makes the film look a bit home video-y.

From what I saw, there were very few shots in the entire film that were blown out. Like the car one, which is obvious and a 1 or 2 others. Overall, it was really well exposed I think.
    Test footage Vimeo page: https://vimeo.com/romanalaivi

It look good, I love the skin tones from this camera and the colours at 10bit/12bit are amazing compared to DSLR. I think the DP on this shoot was fighting direct sun so even the 13stops he had was not going to help him much in the situations where he has let the highlights go.

Don't want to go in to actual film itself (Found it a bit long winded to be honest, time was spent to invest you in to characters, that you did not want to invest in)
    But the footage looked great (Other than some of the over the top "Look look, it's handheld, look look really, it's handheld" camera shake)
    Oh no Vic thinks i'm a newb

Looked very videoish to me. Lots of overexposure in the background, looked like they didn't even bounce anything in the close ups that were outside, so we are left with racoon eyes.

Hey whatsup everybody,

My name is Ben and I wrote and directed this short. Thanks for posting this Roman as well as the kind sentiments!

I just want to say that I welcome and appreciate all critiques/constructive criticism as it can only help me refine my craft. After taking a long break from this I do agree that I could probably shave a few minutes off.

Here are some quick notes about production so you get a sense of what I was working with. The total budget was about $3000 USD (camera cost not included since I used it on other projects which caused it to pay for itself). So it ended up making my G&E budget = $0. Plus I wanted to use all natural lighting as much as possible and used bounces when I could. I was purposely going for a high contrast look. For the car scene I didn't really have options to light the interior of the car more since I had the actors literally driving around while we filmed from the backseat. I wish we could have shot at a better time of day but scheduling and continuity of the story didn't allow for it.

Please feel free to ask me any questions at all if you have any. Again, all critiques are welcome and I appreciate your guys' time and thoughts!