Thread: HDMI port on my Pocket melted!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 HDMI port on my Pocket melted!! 
    A few days ago I hooked up my monitor to my Pocket and when I went to turn on the camera, white smoke started coming out and the HDMI port basically melted. Anyone have this issue? I had both camera and monitor powered by a V-mount battery. I tested this setup on numerous occasions prior and they all went well. Now my monitor isn't working anymore; I hooked it up to my 5D3 and BMPC4k and all I would get is a blue screen. I can scroll through the menus and such, but I think the HDMI IN port is fried or something. This sucks so bad

Anyone know a shop that can fix the HDMI port of the Pocket?

20140828_085515.jpg
    Last edited by Somnang; 08-30-2014 at 10:06 AM.

If I recall correctly someone posted that the HDMI port on the BMPCC is fused to the circuit board so a simple repair may not be feasible. Is your camera under warranty? Have you contacted BMD Support?

On the official BMD forum, look for posts by David Green. He has described potential grounding problems depending upon how you are connecting linked components to a battery. This may have relevance to your burnt connector and cable.

Thank you very much Rick. I'll look on the official site for more info and contact BMD for any recommendations. And unfortunately no, my camera isn't under warranty

well that's a bit scary as a pocket owner.
    I think we will all be very interested to find out if it was the camera or the external device that caused that.

This is indeed a scary prospect. I regularly use a Zacuto EVF on both my Pocket Cameras (the LCD only for menu and, now, for time left on card), and have never had an issue by powering the camera externally with an IndiePro and the EVF with it's own battery. However, I will now constantly touch the HDMI input to see if it's getting hot - yet another cautionary step with that darned port.

Taking a Vacation
    And here we go again Do a search as we have a huge thread on this exact thing somewhere.

Cameras fried. Has to go back. Hopefully they'll fix it for free.

Lanparte V mount plate?

My apologies, I did remember someone posting something for the 2.5k. I did a few search and they only mentioned returning to BMD. Since my unit isn't under warranty, I was hoping someone would know a shop that can fix the port. My Pocket still works, but the port itself is fried. I sent an email to BMD for suggestions as well.

I'm using a Tilta V mount plate. I've used it a bunch of times with my 4k without any problems, in fact, yesterday I did an all day shoot with the 4k + tilta v-mount + a rented smallHD DP7 OLED monitor. I had no problems at all (would love me that DP7 OLED monitor ). The monitor that I used with the Pocket when the HDMI port fried is MustHD 7". I don't think it's the monitor because I've used it a couple of times with my 5D3 without any issues.

Taking a Vacation
    Yeah, It's actually buried in one of those other threads but a bunch of us were having problems with V mount plates creating ground shorts or something when combined with monitors and EVFs. It seemed to happen across all manufactures and both cameras with HDMI and SDI. Not sure anything can be done but I know myself and Darren power our monitors with batteries now. That seems to fix it. I blew my HDMI on my pocket and my Ikan d5W a few months ago. And the power pigtail caught on fire!

EDIT. It didn't seem to be the plates but something with all BM cameras and V mount plates creating a ground somewhere. Take the monitor power in out of the loop and you should be good......besides the shitty Pocket micro hdmi

Yeah, I've shorted out my DP4 and my Marshall 7" a few times when connecting D-tap power to the Pocket while the monitors were already powered w/ a D-tap. Doing that twice was enough to convince me to only run my monitors off of local batteries.

Taking a Vacation
    Quote Originally Posted by keithlango View Post
    Yeah, I've shorted out my DP4 and my Marshall 7" a few times when connecting D-tap power to the Pocket while the monitors were already powered w/ a D-tap. Doing that twice was enough to convince me to only run my monitors off of local batteries.
    Yep, one Dtap to the camera, another to an EVF and then the monitor is powered by on board batteries. Seems to fix the problem....whatever the hell it is! I had my Tilta plate checked out by the electrician at Hollywood Camera and he couldn't find anything wrong with it so it seems to be something in the cameras.