Choppy playback in resolve why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choppy playback in resolve why?

hey guys , i wanted to ask , has anyone had issues with resolve , i downloaded the 9 beta version a couple of days ago to start learning myself how to work with it , but everytime i try to playback a clip or image sequence , its choppy and lags

my systems specs is i run on pc - 16gb of ram , 6tb of WD hdd , i7 920 , Geforce 9500 gt , dell u2711

i tried to work with the ikonoskop sample cinema dng , at first i thought it was maybe because my system cant play this raw files smoothly ,
    but than i tried other formats and it seems that everything is choppy in playback , tried to play with the settings and preferences , does anybody encountered with this problem and HELP me , is it because of my old graphic card ?
    (btw: on speedgrade the cinemadng files run great and smooth ) ?

It's because you are not following the Resolve Windows Config guide (available on the web site where you downloaded the Resolve software) as far as using supported graphics cards. Yes, your single 9500gt card is probably the main issue.

Comment

ok i will look into that , i thought it was time to replace graphic card anyhow , thanks dwaine

Comment

Old topic I know but I'm struggling with a similiar problem. I got choppy playback. On a 25p timeline I get more or less 25fps but the playback is still choppy. Is this normal - I mean are the rest of you experiencing this to? Or is the playback smooth for you?

I'm on Resolve Lite 9, system: i7 950, 24GB DDR3, GTX470, and the material is playing of a single 500GB HDD that has a single platter.
        Sanjin Svajger
        Media productions KINOKS
        EU/Slovenia

Comment

Sometimes it helps to set the monitoring to 4:2:2.
          Blog: http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Glencairn View Post
            Sometimes it helps to set the monitoring to 4:2:2.
            I actually already had it set to 4:2:2 but I've discovered that if I set it to a lover resolution that I get smooth playback (it has to be set to SD).
            Weird - this "Video Monitoring" is only for I/O right? But currently I have no I/O device on this workstation but this is still affecting my
            performance...
            Sanjin Svajger
            Media productions KINOKS
            EU/Slovenia

Comment

This won't work because when set to SD the waveform and other graphs get scaled down to the lower resolution.
              Sanjin Svajger
              Media productions KINOKS
              EU/Slovenia

Comment

Looks like my system isn't strong enough to playback at real time I'm grading DNxHD 185 10 bit material. Interesting, I thought that it would play this in RT...
                Sanjin Svajger
                Media productions KINOKS
                EU/Slovenia

Comment

Okey, I get RT playback if I turn of the scopes or if I substantially scale them down (right now I have them almost fullscreen on my second monitor).

Talking to my self here, nice
                  Sanjin Svajger
                  Media productions KINOKS
                  EU/Slovenia

Comment

9500 GT. Get an EVGA GTX 570 with 2.5BGs RAM. around $200.00.
                    Facebook - Angelis Digital Studio

Comment

Originally posted by Brad Ferrell View Post
                      9500 GT. Get an EVGA GTX 570 with 2.5BGs RAM. around $200.00.
                      Sorry, but what?
                      Sanjin Svajger
                      Media productions KINOKS
                      EU/Slovenia

Comment

Originally posted by KINOKS View Post
                        Okey, I get RT playback if I turn of the scopes or if I substantially scale them down (right now I have them almost fullscreen on my second monitor).

Talking to my self here, nice
                        That's the reason why I went for Ultrascope.

Comment

Ultrascopes look nice. How does it work? As I understand it this is meant to hook up a camera to a laptop. How does it work on a grading workstation as their is no external source to connect?
                          Sanjin Svajger
                          Media productions KINOKS
                          EU/Slovenia

Comment

The Ultrascope that comes with the BMC ( via Thunderbolt) is a bit different from the standard models they offer.
                            Usualy it's ether a PCI card or an external box (PocketUltrascope), that you hook up to an Video I/O card on your grading workstation via SDI.
                            You can't do that on the same computer though - you need a laptop or second computer for just the scopes.
                            Frank

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Glencairn View Post
                              The Ultrascope that comes with the BMC ( via Thunderbolt) is a bit different from the standard models they offer.
                              Usualy it's ether a PCI card or an external box (PocketUltrascope), that you hook up to an Video I/O card on your grading workstation via SDI.
                              You can't do that on the same computer though - you need a laptop or second computer for just the scopes.
                              Frank
                              From the I/O, okey okey I get it But having an extra computer just for the scopes in the grading suite seems a bit much to me. How are you handling it?
                              Sanjin Svajger
                              Media productions KINOKS
                              EU/Slovenia

Comment

Working...
                              X