No announcement yet.

Choppy playback in resolve why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I run it on my laptop (connected to a 21" screen), not ideal, but my budget doesn't allow for a Leader or Tectronix $6000 scope box.
    Blog: http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Glencairn View Post
      I run it on my laptop (connected to a 21" screen), not ideal, but my budget doesn't allow for a Leader or Tectronix $6000 scope box.
      Looks like having two GPUs is the way to. What do you think?
      Sanjin Svajger
      Media productions KINOKS
      EU/Slovenia

Comment

Absolutely, but I don't know if that helps with scopes and playback.
        Blog: http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Glencairn View Post
          Absolutely, but I don't know if that helps with scopes and playback.
          Hm, neither do I but I don't see why it wouldn't...
          Sanjin Svajger
          Media productions KINOKS
          EU/Slovenia

Comment

I'm finding that I get nice, smooth playback on my MBPR w/ 16GB of memory for ProRes, and painfully choppy, unusable playback with... H.264. Of course, Resolve also renders ProRes at about 3x the speed that renders H.264, so it seems like the H.264 implementation in Resolve is a bit lacking.

I haven't tried RAW yet. I'm hoping that it will at least be usable. I tried enabling realtime proxies, but it made no noticable difference.

Comment

The proxies are dpx so they require a fast raid storage.
              H.264 uses significant compression and thus significant resources to decode. On single CPU systems this leaves little resources for other processes. The best option is to avoid lossy highly compressed acquisition codecs. Second best is to render all the selects of your source material to ProRes or DNxHD.
              Peter

Comment

Transcoding the h.264 stuff to ProRes did the trick, though the sound very out of sync in one of those clips after transcoding. I don't know why, and I haven't had a chance to look into it yet. :-/

Comment

Working...
                X