For all the Colorists out there...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For all the Colorists out there...

This monitor from Greenhorn Nixeus looks extremely interesting. Especially the price:

nixius-27-inch-08-02-12-01-1343909130.jpg

LG S-IPS panel
    True 8-bit color
    6ms refresh
    DVI/DisplayPort/HDMI 1.4
    Released Aug 21st for $430

http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/02/n...Vue-2560-1440/

Originally posted by fahnon View Post
    This monitor from Greenhorn Nixeus looks extremely interesting. Especially the price:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]495[/ATTACH]

LG S-IPS panel
    True 8-bit color
    6ms refresh
    DVI/DisplayPort/HDMI 1.4
    Released Aug 21st for $430

http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/02/n...Vue-2560-1440/
    Grade A, pass.

Comment

It looks good from the specs, a bit thick frame... but, am I the only one whose the "too good to be true" suspicion kicks in? Must be some flaw to compensate for the low cost? :-/

Comment

8 bit color? My cheapo Acer monitor has 32 bit color.

Comment

Why buy a 10/12bit camera and only use an 8bit monitor for CC?

Calibrate a Panasonic TV and plug it into a Black Magic card/box for a 10bit signal, or buy a 10bit monitor (also calibrated) and also plugged into a BM card/box while using Davinci Resolve.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyle Presley View Post
            Pretty sure your 32-bit color Acer IS an 8-bit color monitor. 8 bits each for the Red, Green and Blue channels, and another 8 bits for the Alpha channel. Total of 32 bits. Means the same thing.

Comment

32-bit monitors usually have 10-bit processing for every color channel, additional 2 bits are for padding. No alpha in monitors yet but who knows, see-through transparent monitors could also make use of alpha channels.
              vfx-rants.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Jason M. View Post
                Pretty sure your 32-bit color Acer IS an 8-bit color monitor. 8 bits each for the Red, Green and Blue channels, and another 8 bits for the Alpha channel. Total of 32 bits. Means the same thing.
                16.7 million color = 8 bit
                More than a billion = 10 bit

Comment

10bit monitors are really expensive, I'm talking thousands of US dollars. Anything more than 10bit either don't exist or are specially made for special purposes.

Comment

Well,

I've been using the DELL U2711 for a while. I believe it's 10-bit - and I'm very happy it.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Sharp_27.html

And it's less than ONE thousand.

Comment

Originally posted by ichichich View Post
                      Well,

I've been using the DELL U2711 for a while. I believe it's 10-bit - and I'm very happy it.

You are right, that does look like a 10bit monitor. I haven't looked for a 10bit monitor for close to a year. I'm glad to see the prices are finally dropping.

Comment

Originally posted by ichichich View Post
                        Well,

I've heard that some of those have serious green tint gradients on them and that Dell wasn't refunding those that got the "tint of death". Anything noticeable like that?

Comment

Originally posted by RyGuy View Post
                          I've heard that some of those have serious green tint gradients on them and that Dell wasn't refunding those that got the "tint of death". Anything noticeable like that?
                          No, I haven't experienced any issues like that. And I had two of them.

I trashed the first one (nothing to do with build quality, but the screen got smashed during transport) - and I noticed that revision was a little less bright than the one I just bought recently (which is a later revision - I checked the label on the back of the monitor).

Anyways, the monitor is EXCELLENT. Very sharp and pleasant to work with.

Also, it comes calibrated from the factory. Best monitor I ever had.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyle Presley View Post
                            As other posters have said, 32 bit color is a misnomer thanks to M$. Your graphics card is outputting 8 bit at best. Thanks to the misnomer, pro graphics cards that actually support 10bit output will refer to it as 30 bit color.

Also, if the monitor is cheap, it's probably using a TN panel, so the color gammut, viewing angles and contrast are all shit to begin with. On top of that, many cheap TN panels are actually 6-bit and use fast cycling between two "close enough" code values to give the illusion of 8 bits.

What people don't seem to realize is you don't need a high bit depth panel to work with high bit depth footage. Anyone who has ever opened a 16bit file knows this.

Comment

I'll just leave this here...

Flander's Scientific

Comment

Working...
                              X