Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interpret 30p to 25p in Resolve for slowmo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interpret 30p to 25p in Resolve for slowmo?

Hi All,

I've been trying, without success, to slow my 30p footage to 25p in Resolve to get a sort of dreamy slowish feel to it, as seen in the likes of Meet Me In Big Sur. I've created a new project, set the project setting to conform to 25p and then imported, made my corrections and exported 1080p25 video but it feels much the same speed wise, perhaps a little jerkier.

I've cross referenced the footage with the same clip interpreted to 25p in Prem CC and it's clearly not slowing down. Am I wrongly assuming that conforming to 25p in Resolve should automatically slow down the footage or do I have to apply a framerate adjustment to the clips also?

Thanks for your help!
    Anthony

Website
    Vimeo

Latest Work

Safia - My Love Is Gone

Import the 30P footage normally and in the speed (premiere) try: 83.3%
    Jorge De Silva - Photography & Filmmaking
    Personal Quote: "We should always learn from others! Life always teaches us something! Sharing is the key!"
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1843499/

Comment

Hi Jorge,

Thanks for your reply. I've done this (change clip speed in Resolve) and the footage looks great. I have optical flow enabled, this won't have any effect will it due to the 5 extra frames per second right?

Thanks!
      Anthony

Website
      Vimeo

Latest Work

Safia - My Love Is Gone

Comment

Disable it and test, and then enable it again. If you dont see a lot of motion blur with optical flow let it on

If you can post the before and after result

Best,
        JDS
        Personal Quote: "We should always learn from others! Life always teaches us something! Sharing is the key!"

Comment

Ok i shot this after your reply for a quick test. Meant to be a RAW test too but forgot to switch from ProRes! After raw grading this ProPes feels like i've gone back to the dark ages, but, cutting in Resolve was nice and snappy. I added the audio in Premiere and noticed the imported ProRes export from Resolve was much brighter, and the the h264 export was brighter again due to the much maligned H264 gamma issue. The action is pretty slow anyway so the 24p (80%) slowdown isn't that obvious.

Anthony

Website
          Vimeo

Latest Work

Safia - My Love Is Gone

Comment

It's subtle but it's good! Great images btw

Comment

Obrigado!
              Anthony

Website
              Vimeo

Latest Work

Safia - My Love Is Gone

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony Bristol View Post
                Obrigado!
                Hahaha De nada! (You're welcome!)

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony Bristol View Post
                  I've been trying, without success, to slow my 30p footage to 25p in Resolve to get a sort of dreamy slowish feel to it, as seen in the likes of Meet Me In Big Sur. I've created a new project, set the project setting to conform to 25p and then imported, made my corrections and exported 1080p25 video but it feels much the same speed wise, perhaps a little jerkier.
                  One way to deal with this in R10 is in the media page, right click on the clip and go to "clip attributes", then change the framerate there from 30fps to 25fps.
                  In R9, clips would conform to the project settings as you tried to do, i'm not sure if this changed on purpose or if its a bug.
                  Blackmagic Design
                  My BMD LUTs.

**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Comment

Thanks Cap, this makes a lot more sense to me. Hopefully they re-enable it otherwise it seems to render the conform settings almost pointless. Selecting all clips and doing as you said works too though, so not a huge issue for now.
                    Anthony

Website
                    Vimeo

Latest Work

Safia - My Love Is Gone

Comment

Working...
                    X