Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2,5k RAW in a 1080p Sequence?

hi there,

when i was watching most of these bmc raw davinci workflow, i saw that they always load there 2,5k raw files into a 1080p sequence..why that??
    i mostly shot prores, so it makes sense for me..but for raw which i hadnt shot very much because of my workstation i would choose or creat a 2,5k sequence isnt it?

best
    greg
    GRÉGORY

It's called oversampling. Actually, 2.5K is just enough with a Bayer pattern sensor to resolve 1080 HDTV. See Arri Alexa…

Comment

so everything is right with that to put 2,5k raw in 1080p sequence..i dont quiet understandt it completly..
      GRÉGORY

Comment

A simple consideration; what's the deliverable? It's not likely to be 2.5K.
        It's common to shoot raw at a greater res than the deliverable and with Resolves high quality debayer and resize processing you still get cinema release quality finals.
        Peter

Comment

Yeah, there is no real-world use for 2.5k and the camera was not meant for 2.5k output. 1080p or 2K is has real-world application. 1080p for Blu-ray, Web or consumer projector, 2K for DCP. Although obviously you can put 2K on the web...

After debayering you get a beautiful clean 1080p or a nice 2K.

Comment

An important point is DaVinci is resolution independent. Meaning, the only setting you lock in starting a project is calculated frame rate. DaVinci works on mixed resolution footage on the fly. You choose monitoring and render resolution as you need them.

Comment

I have been curious about this. When you have a 1080P timeline, and you output 2.5K, will it use the original resolution of the 2.5K files, or will it down- and upsize, losing quality (it seems you are saying it will use it's original resolution without quality loss).
              Is there any reading online or in the manual to back this up?

I think, for example, that after effects does down and upres, especially when you precompose layers.

Cheers

Comment

thats what i meant too but the other way round. if putting 2,5k in 1080p timeline (with 1080p delivery at the end) will the 2,5k files be downscaled to 1080p to fit the timeline (?)
                GRÉGORY

Comment

Another aspect to consider is the transform method when resizing. I am not familiar with Resolve and what resize Filter Modes it uses or if it allows the user to select one or more methods, however, if you look at compositing application, such as Fusion or Nuke, you can select the filter method to suit the task at hand. Have a look at some of Fusion's Filtering Modes, and the resulting resize image samples at the bottom of the page, and how certain Filter Modes may assist, or not, when resizing footage up and/or down. Maybe Resolve also offers choices via node or preferences? Something to consider, if available.

Comment

Originally posted by twelvetwelves View Post
                    thats what i meant too but the other way round. if putting 2,5k in 1080p timeline (with 1080p delivery at the end) will the 2,5k files be downscaled to 1080p to fit the timeline (?)
                    As opposed to what? Cropping?

Sometimes I just want to archive my RAW clip as 2.5k pro-res or H264, but I can't find a clear method besides maybe after effects (slow).
                    So would putting those 2.5K Raws in a Resolve 1080P timeline, and then outputting 2.5K prores or H264 preserve the 2.5K resolution?

Cheers

Comment

Hi, when you resize any image and then resize again in a second process you have less original data to calculate the second resize. Resolve has a great resize engine but its still better to do one resize to the finished res, if you can.

So, if your deliverable is HD, make the timeline HD regardless of source. If you need to make a 4K deliverable from the same source material, its better to make the timeline 4K rather than leaving the timeline at HD and then up-resing the output sizing to 4K.

If you wish to make a 2.5k archive of your BMCC raw, which you wont do using a H.264 codec as that would be a waste of time and disk space, make the timeline res the same as the native res of the BMCC files and pick a HQ codec.

Peter

Comment

Isn't just saving the original footage and the resolve project file the best way to "archive" vs. saving baked-in footage? This would allow you to redo footage with future versions of Resolve or other software (say when debayers make a big leap or resolve can equal Phase One, etc). Why generate even more files (I'm no expert by the way...)?

Comment

There more to 2.5 raw than resolution. With a raw file, you have raw sensor data stored in the file. As soon as it is rasterized you lose that element. 10 bit Prores will preserve more of the rasterized color information than an 8 bit h.264. Try Cineform for archiving raw. It is an inexpensive solution to preserving the raw nature of the exposed frame.
                          Facebook - Angelis Digital Studio

Comment

Working...
                          X