Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What graphic card do I need?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    okay so I just bought a new Desktop with i3 processor, 8GB Ram, 1 TB HDD and GeForce GTS 260M with Intel GPU as well. Do I need a better GPU like Geforce 500 series? I'll build more Ram as i go along.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by JIKIJI View Post
      okay so I just bought a new Desktop with i3 processor, 8GB Ram, 1 TB HDD and GeForce GTS 260M with Intel GPU as well. Do I need a better GPU like Geforce 500 series? I'll build more Ram as i go along.
      The minimum RAM config for Resolve is 12GB. Try your card, it should be good enough for the GUI. If you're going to add another GPU, you'll need to upgrade your power supply to 1000W to support both. This will only add to your rendering power. If you have $250, try a refurbished GTX 570 with as much RAM onboard as you can find, 2GB or 2.5Gb. This will help.
      Facebook - Angelis Digital Studio

      Comment


      • #18
        Just another voice throwing support to the 2.5GB 570. I've got one by EVGA in my system as the GPU card, and I've yet to even stress it with 1080p material - my processor isn't fast enough to effectively test against RED 4K/5K, which I have to grade at 1/4 res. Noise reduction might kill it - but I don't have the full Resolve license, and am more keen on picking up Neat Video, anyway.

        Comment


        • #19
          I'm finding Neat Video a bit "extreme" in some cases (in AE). I though maybe fading it in on an adjustment layer might work, but I do love the look.

          I'm looking forward to trying the Resolve noise reduction too.

          I took Kevin's recommendation for the 570. Definately an excellent buy.
          Facebook - Angelis Digital Studio

          Comment


          • #20
            I haven't used Neat Video, but I can say I wasn't fond of Resolve's NR when I used it...granted that was one day, so it's safe to say I'm no master with that particular tool - but first impressions were shaky. It does have the appeal of not having to transcode like I would sending Neat Videoed material into Resolve, especially appealing to the RED jobs I do.

            On the other hand, I'm told it will bring graphics cards to their knees real quick...decisions, decisions...

            Comment


            • #21
              With the two GTX 570's the rendering in AE of Neatvideo takes two frames of time. It's not a hit at all.

              What was the deal with the Resolve NR? What didn't you like? I'm assuming it's good because it's Resolve.
              Facebook - Angelis Digital Studio

              Comment


              • #22
                I probably just need to play with it more...it seemed to just kind of take small pixely noise and make it larger and splotchy, and completely destroyed even large detail. This was on 4K Epic/Scarlet footage in a 1080p timeline. And I'm actually worried about the performance in Resolve, not Neat Video. Footage that played back at 15fps dropped to like 2fps with minimal NR settings on a Quadro 4000, radius of 1 ground everything to a halt. Since I don't have a full license, I haven't had the chance to test it on my machine, but I don't expect much better performance.

                I'm more interested in Neat Video because of the ability to tell it where the noise is so that it can sample it, where Resolve's NR seems to be just global adjustments (Threshold, Radius, Blend). It just seems smarter. It's just that that extra transcoding step would be a pain for my all-RAW workflows.
                Last edited by Kevin Marshall; 08-09-2012, 05:08 PM.

                Comment


                • #23
                  i haven't gotten into the resolve NR, but i can say that neat video is pretty awesome. try it on greenscreen footage before the keyer. even on clean shot native iso footage, it makes for the cleanest keys ever.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Brad Ferrell View Post
                    With the two GTX 570's the rendering in AE of Neatvideo takes two frames of time. It's not a hit at all.

                    What was the deal with the Resolve NR? What didn't you like? I'm assuming it's good because it's Resolve.
                    Well- don't assume to much- better try it and compare

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by JIKIJI View Post
                      okay so I just bought a new Desktop with i3 processor, 8GB Ram, 1 TB HDD and GeForce GTS 260M with Intel GPU as well. Do I need a better GPU like Geforce 500 series? I'll build more Ram as i go along.

                      Yikes.

                      Did you buy the computer at walmart or something?

                      A Desktop with an i3?

                      My current set up is Ivy Bridge i7 3770k, 16bg RAM, 240gb SSD, 5TB Storage HDD, GTX 580 and Asus Sabertooth Z77 Mobo. This might be a little overkill for the BMCC, but once you get deep into Resolve and AE, you need more.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Resolve NR is quite GPU intensive if you want high resolution in real time, which in HD is possible with two high power CUDA GPUs. It can however act on a specific isolated area and/or color and can be used in any layer/node for every shot.
                        Peter

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Peter Chamberlain View Post
                          Resolve NR is quite GPU intensive if you want high resolution in real time, which in HD is possible with two high power CUDA GPUs. It can however act on a specific isolated area and/or color and can be used in any layer/node for every shot.
                          Peter
                          Well that's good to know, thanks Peter. I didn't mean to knock Resolve's NR, and I assumed that the slowdown was just my system being vastly underpowered for it. Now I see the part on limiting noise reduction in the manual, I must've skipped that paragraph before. If I get the chance, I'll have to play with that to try and save a couple of shots...

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by Michael Millichamp View Post
                            Yikes.

                            Did you buy the computer at walmart or something?

                            A Desktop with an i3?

                            My current set up is Ivy Bridge i7 3770k, 16bg RAM, 240gb SSD, 5TB Storage HDD, GTX 580 and Asus Sabertooth Z77 Mobo. This might be a little overkill for the BMCC, but once you get deep into Resolve and AE, you need more.
                            bought it cheap on ebay, I'm going to build my own desktop as I go along anyways, I'm thinking of starting with Intel DZ77RE-75K motherboard (has thunderbolt) with 16gb Ram and I'll go from there.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X