Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the Radeon5770 the best graphics card I can run in this system for Resolve 8 or 9?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the Radeon5770 the best graphics card I can run in this system for Resolve 8 or 9?

Hi I am currently using resolve 8 on this system (with no problems).
    Apple MacPro 2.1 2008 dual 3 GHZ Quad core Xeon
    Radeon™ HD 5770 graphics card.
    24 GB Ram.
    64 bit.
    Hard drive is a caviar black 1.5 gig
    and a Raid 1gig comprised of 2 500 gig segate drives.
    Is this the best graphics card I can run on this system?
    Thanks in advance Gary

if it works, and with no problems, why are you looking for something else?

at first, when resolve was introduced on the mac, it was only functioning or recommended on a specific setup with 2 nvidia cards and used nvidia cuda cores, it also functioned more or less on one card with no apparent problems and about the same performance. it's optimized for nvidia cards and cuda and not opencl which is more generic and use more processing power to do the same task.

do you need noise reduction, does it work?
    how is the performance, what codec and frames-per-second do you get?
    is it stable after a few hours and a few nodes?

what kind of performance increase(%) do you really need/expect from another card if you chose to upgrade?

Comment

all intel macs are 64bit, you don;t have to mention it.

Comment

Are you here to help or be sarcastic. The 2.1 was the first year they went to 64bit. I thought by puttilng up exactly what
        I have I would eliminate any question. Resolve 8 works OK with the 5770 card up to about 4 nodes but I guess that depends
        on whats in the nodes. Noise reduction does not work. Performance is OK, chokes some times depending on what you are
        doing in the program.
        I would like to try to get a little better preformance out of my system, maybe even upgrade to Resolve 9 but I think I would
        need a better system than what I have, hence the question is there a better card for my mac then what I have.
        So if you have any wisdom to contribute than yes I am open ears, if not then don't bother. Happy New Year.

Originally posted by Amr Rahmy View Post
        all intel macs are 64bit, you don;t have to mention it.

Comment

side note: they are all 64bit capable, and i would appreciate it if you calmed down, to have a more civil discussion, we are all adults here, and we are not forced to offer any help or information to anyone.

i would recommend that you download resolve 9 lite, and test if it works and test compare the performance to resolve 8.

i would put an ssd drive as the main drive as step one to having a faster system overall. if by chokes, you mean the system slows temporarily and then gets back to speed, it's not the graphics card the source of the problem.

change primary drive to ssd (sandisk, intel, samsung)
          then get a newer mac pro and faster RAM or wait for the next mac pro to upgrade
          then get a new nvidia card, you can get an nvidia 680 with 2GB+ memory(seem to work with current drivers).

Comment

Your right we are all adults and I would appreciate it if you just stuck to the question. Thanks for the reply, but I was trying not to have too
            invest in another Mac, as I have other things I need to invest in. A graphics card versus and new computer is quite a difference. I was told that the 2.1 was the first year the Mac was set up to do 64 bit so if thats not the case I stand corrected.

Comment

i put them in order of priority, you can incrementally update, ssd, new MAC pro, new NVIDIA gpu.

Comment

" What's the difference between Consumer and Pro graphics cards? "

http://www.redsharknews.com/technology/item/318-what-s-the-difference-between-consumer-and-pro-graphics-cards

Comment

we use a 5870 and 5770 as GUI but Quadro 4000s for GPU.
                  I just find the AMDs to be stable on our recent Mac Pros.
                  Ive been moving this Quadro 4800 around for years and its okay but not stable with the last two Apple towers.
                  its fine where it is now and used mostly for Motion Design and some Maya work...some.

Comment

Originally posted by ianim8 View Post
                    we use a 5870 and 5770 as GUI but Quadro 4000s for GPU.
                    I just find the AMDs to be stable on our recent Mac Pros.
                    Ive been moving this Quadro 4800 around for years and its okay but not stable with the last two Apple towers.
                    its fine where it is now and used mostly for Motion Design and some Maya work...some.
                    Ya, but your Macs are probably newer than the 2.1.
                    I wonder if there is a way to put two GTX580 cards
                    in a 2.1?

Comment

Originally posted by Gary w View Post
                      in a 2.1?
                      Are they double-width cards?
                      Only way if they are is to use a CUBIX XPANDER or something similar.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary w View Post
                        in a 2.1?

You can do it, but you need to patch some power from the drive bay.

Here is my post explaining how:
                        http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/277/11721
                        If I wanted my films to look like the real world I'd buy a video camera.

Comment

That link talks about a Mac 3.1. I wonder if you can put a GTX 570 with a GT 120 in a Mac 2.1

Comment

Working...
                          X