Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scaling when using lower-resolution proxies

Hi all,

I've never had to use proxies before as my system's been able to manage just fine editing and grading the ProRes HQ files straight from the camera (though it does struggle a bit with RAW). However, on this next project I'm editing, it was shot on the BMCC in 2.5K RAW but the final export will be HD so the DoP's given me 1920x1080 proxies. If I edit with the proxies on a 1920x1080 timeline and then resync to the RAW files for grading, I'm worried that I'll either lose any scaling/transforming I've done or it'll keep the parameters exactly the same but, because of the higher resolution, the whole thing will be cropped in.

I don't know if this is even a thing I need to be worried about but if it is, I'd like to know what steps I can take to make sure it doesn't happen. The only concrete way I can think of is to create new proxies at the original resolution which somewhat defeats the point although it will still be at a lower bitrate. Given they've already given me proxies, however, I'd rather not have to spend more time faffing about with it.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any advice you're able to give!

Little bit of a follow-up question to this. I ran a test with the RAW files I was given and my setup was able to playback perfectly so I hit upon an idea I thought would work. In PluralEyes, they give you the option of exporting your synced WAV files trimmed to the length of the video clip. So I did that with a couple of test shots and replaced the WAV file in the DNG folder with the recorder audio (renamed to the original file name) but it didn't work. It recognised the video and the audio separately so I'm wondering if there's anything else Resolve is looking for other than filename to sync the two up?

Cheers!

Comment

Working...
    X