Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More codecs in DaVinci ?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • More codecs in DaVinci ?

    Just got to rendering a test, is there anyway to have some more codec options in DaVinci? looks like its all mov or the DNxHD containers, no avi, wmv etc.... I guess the normal route is to render everything twice using the NLE or something which seems a little bit of a shame if your clip has no audio & its effectively finished in DaVinci ;-)..
    New Ursa Mini 4.6 owner

  • #2
    I don't understand your question. Can you give an example of a fork flow that would require other codecs?
    -Michael Beck

    Comment


    • #3
      Resolve has its own exporter and codec choice is limited to rather high-end ones with exception of some proxy options.
      There is no AVI, directshow access or even QT, but choice is big enough to fit into any high-end workflow. There us to be ProRes exporter in Windows version, but they have removed it- shame. I think it was based on ffmpeg implementation, so maybe Apple was not happy about it

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by mbeck View Post
        I don't understand your question. Can you give an example of a fork flow that would require other codecs?
        Its not a huge issue I guess, just the issue of time as my footage tends to be very long, I would think it would be really handy to be able to render direct from DeVinci to the final compressed to bits product ;-)... As it is now you can export it to a whole variety of high end codecs which you can stick in a NLE & then render again from there...It seems like they have managed to include so many incredible wonders into DaVinci that adding a few more rendering options could be a nice idea....like now they have added some basic cutting/fading tools..Made is simple to understand for the masses etc

        Workflow Record raw - Edit & CC in DaVinci - Render to Vemo/YouTube/DVD/BluRay ;-)
        New Ursa Mini 4.6 owner

        Comment


        • #5
          Oh, You want to edit in DaVinci? I suppose it could be done.. it would suck though.
          -Michael Beck

          Comment


          • #6
            And don't forget sound. From looking at Resolve 9 at NAB, it will add sound support, but 8.2 does not.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by mbeck View Post
              Oh, You want to edit in DaVinci? I suppose it could be done.. it would suck though.
              For some users it could suck for sure but not for me, most of my edit is just cutting & CC. If they got sound in there now then it's obvious that a lot of stuff could be done direct in DaVinci & put on the Tube or Vimo DVD etc.

              Hmm I need to think of a reason you may like it! Say for example you wanted to show me a very cool section of footage that your editing in DeVinci.... Click render & there is your Vemo friendly clip! Better then having to render it out & open a NLE make a project stick it on the time line & render it again.....am I clutching straws in the wind? ....why did I have to pick Vegas as my NLE? I bet you guys can just import that XML file! ;-)
              Last edited by Phil; 05-28-2012, 10:59 PM.
              New Ursa Mini 4.6 owner

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Phil View Post
                For most things It would suck for sure but not all the time for me, most of my edit is just cutting & CC. If they got sound in there now then it's obvious that a lot of stuff could be done direct in DaVinci & put on the Tube or Vimo DVD etc.

                Hmm I need to think of a reason you may like it! Say for example you wanted to show me a very cool section of footage that your editing in DeVinci.... Click render & there is your Vemo friendly clip! Better then having to render it out & open a NLE make a project stick it on the time line & render it again.....am I clutching straws in the wind? ....why did I have to pick Vegas as my NLE? I bet you guys can just import that XML file! ;-)
                Ahh! I see! You are using Vegas.... I can see why you would want to avoid bringing it into your editor I kid... but seriously... $60/month for Adobe's CS6 Master collection is a hell of a deal!
                -Michael Beck

                Comment


                • #9
                  Is there any way to CC in resolve & edit in a NLE without the need to "render" the video file? Is there a NLE thats a little more integrated with DiVinci so they can both share the raw footage Like you can with say Firstlight? Is there anyway to avoid all that rendering before you are able to edit anything?
                  New Ursa Mini 4.6 owner

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    DaVinci isn't really designed to be also a media encoder beyond outputting the newly rendered clips. You might want to use something like Adobe Media Encoder after outputting to ProRes or DNxHD as it can do batches.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by nickjbedford View Post
                      DaVinci isn't really designed to be also a media encoder beyond outputting the newly rendered clips. You might want to use something like Adobe Media Encoder after outputting to ProRes or DNxHD as it can do batches.
                      Its this rendering everything twice thing that Im hoping to avoid, Just the time=money thing. Been looking at the FCP workflow that seems to render everything to ProRes. Is there a drop in quality rendering from prores compared to rendering from raw? for example If I put the raw on a Sony Vegas timeline & render to h264 will it compress better then a FCP compressed ProRes based video rendered to h264?
                      New Ursa Mini 4.6 owner

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Phil View Post
                        Is there any way to CC in resolve & edit in a NLE without the need to "render" the video file? Is there a NLE thats a little more integrated with DiVinci so they can both share the raw footage Like you can with say Firstlight? Is there anyway to avoid all that rendering before you are able to edit anything?
                        Sure. An offline/online proxy workflow w/ EDLs would suit what you have in mind- only one render. Unless you plan on doing additional effects etc., of course, exporting to DPX wouldn't affect quality as I dare say it being lossless. Also, I think it should be mentioned that complicated mult-video-track timelines w/ fancy transitions wouldn't translate well in the EDL, and you might run into instances with certain things not appearing once loaded into Resolve. I would leave it to two tracks, just to be safe, and add the "fancy" transitions along w/ other effects, if desired, after the DPX render.

                        Originally posted by nickjbedford View Post
                        DaVinci isn't really designed to be also a media encoder beyond outputting the newly rendered clips. You might want to use something like Adobe Media Encoder after outputting to ProRes or DNxHD as it can do batches.
                        Although DaVinci most certainly wouldn't be the ideal application to encode shit, you can still technically transcode to both flavors mentioned in batches, over-writing or giving unique names to the files, if you wanted to.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Macalincag View Post
                          Sure. An offline/online proxy workflow w/ EDLs would suit what you have in mind- only one render. Unless you plan on doing additional effects etc., of course, exporting to DPX wouldn't affect quality as I dare say it being lossless. Also, I think it should be mentioned that complicated mult-video-track timelines w/ fancy transitions wouldn't translate well in the EDL, and you might run into instances with certain things not appearing once loaded into Resolve. I would leave it to two tracks, just to be safe, and add the "fancy" transitions along w/ other effects, if desired, after the DPX render.
                          As far as I know, XML, and AAF can both contain multi-track video, and some transitions.


                          Originally posted by Macalincag View Post
                          Although DaVinci most certainly wouldn't be the ideal application to encode shit, you can still technically transcode to both flavors mentioned in batches, over-writing or giving unique names to the files, if you wanted to.
                          You can use "source rendering" in Davinci, this way all the original clips will be "graded" (like putting a LUT on), and exported in some kind of file
                          C300 review | http://carousel.hu/c300/

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by laco View Post
                            You can use "source rendering" in Davinci, this way all the original clips will be "graded" (like putting a LUT on), and exported in some kind of file
                            This sounds interesting, do you have any idea if this works fast? Using proxi video is what Im hopping to avoid.

                            Another perhaps silly question, does FCP render using the original RAW footage or does it use a Prores version it creates?

                            Is there any Sony Vegas users out there that know if they will add the ability to read Davinci xml?
                            New Ursa Mini 4.6 owner

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I don't believe FCP currently has any native support for Cinema DNG files.

                              There is Hamburg Pro Media's MXF4Mac plugin series which claim to provide import capability; it's priced at 499 euros. Ouch.

                              http://www.hamburgpromedia.com/produ...-import-qt.php
                              Randy Walters
                              boundlessinformant.com

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X