Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swapping out Proxies

Here the situation:

I've completed importing my XML and have performed a first light on my original h.264. Since I'm waiting for my camera and Resolve still I'm using Resolve Lite which has no Noise Reduction, but the footage is grainy and is not exposed properly.

In Ae, I used Neat Video to clean things up and exported a new DNxHD file with the same file name as the original. I backed up my originals and then replaced them with the new files (same file names).

In Resolve, the old clips are still loading. How do I link to the new clips with NR? They should be showing up, but it looks like Resolve is still linking to an h.264 file because it tells me the source is h.264 when it is DNxHD. Do I need to clear some kind of cache? What can I do?

B
    Facebook - Angelis Digital Studio

Originally posted by Brad Ferrell View Post
    Here the situation:

I've completed importing my XML and have performed a first light on my original h.264. Since I'm waiting for my camera and Resolve still I'm using Resolve Lite which has no Noise Reduction, but the footage is grainy and is not exposed properly.

In Ae, I used Neat Video to clean things up and exported a new DNxHD file with the same file name as the original. I backed up my originals and then replaced them with the new files (same file names).

In Resolve, the old clips are still loading. How do I link to the new clips with NR? They should be showing up, but it looks like Resolve is still linking to an h.264 file because it tells me the source is h.264 when it is DNxHD. Do I need to clear some kind of cache? What can I do?

B
    Typing on phone, please excuse grammar. If I were you, I would go to the conform page, create a new timeline, reimport the XML from the new files (from after effects), and make sure the import media option is ticked on the box that comes up when you import your XML. That should give you a fresh timeline to work with containing all your new clips.

Comment

Another option you could try in Resolve is to select your clips in the media pool, right click and choose "change source folder".
      Blackmagic Design
      My BMD LUTs.

**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Comment

Again, I'm on an ipad but you should be able to right click the files in the conform page and re-target them to the new files.

jb

Comment

I'm pushing the gamma on some of these shots really far and I'm getting blocking I wasn't getting in Ae with Colorista. May have to buy Colorista II for Ae while I wait to see if Resolve can solve this with NR. I'll keep testing. Thanks for the help. Right-click did the trick but the clip info hasn't updated and Resolve still says it's h.264 when it's quicktime DNxHD. That was my confusion.

Comment

I'm pushing the gamma on some of these shots really far and I'm getting blocking I wasn't getting in Ae with Colorista. May have to buy Colorista II for Ae while I wait to see if Resolve can solve this with NR. I'll keep testing. Thanks for the help. Right-click did the trick but the clip info hasn't updated and Resolve still says it's h.264 when it's quicktime DNxHD. That was my confusion.
            Using another timeline would solve this problem and also let you backtrack if you so choose. As a rule of thumb, never perform NR until after final color. To send to AE after your grade, render out individual clips with an XML then import in and do your NR. Good luck.

Comment

quietcolor - I started out onlining coloring ala 5tu Maschwitz. He suggests NR as the first step in any process. I hear here alot that it should be done last. I'm currently testing this out. Everyone, thanks for your input. I'll blog about this later when I have some results.

Comment

quietcolor - I started out onlining coloring ala 5tu Maschwitz. He suggests NR as the first step in any process. I hear here alot that it should be done last. I'm currently testing this out. Everyone, thanks for your input. I'll blog about this later when I have some results.
                You're working with interpolated color data and newly introduced blockiness due to the binning that NR uses if you grade after NR.

Comment

I'm finding the codec, h.264, is more forgiving to grade in Colorista after NR than Davinci before or after NR.

Comment

I'm going to try it after now. Getting mixed results with NR before. Thanks guys.

Comment

What NR plug are you using? I brought Neat Video for AE then afterwards found out it was around 4 times faster to render with it in Premiere so cross graded (on OSX at least).
                      Blackmagic Design
                      My BMD LUTs.

**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Comment

I'm using Neat Video, but I am trying out DeNoiser from Red Giant. I rendered out last night. Can't wait to continue today. I'll post some pics once I have a solution. Thanks again for all your help guys.

Comment

Working...
                        X