Better hsl qualifying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Better hsl qualifying

Ive been wondering what's a good process for getting better selections for secondary work in 12.5. Say I'm selecting an peach shirt with slight color/ luminance variations in my frame, even if I use a power window for just the shirt( which is a pain and I loath tracking,key framing an the like) I still get poor selections, either some part will be grey(not selected) or if I havent created a custom PW for the shirt, close but not that close, colors will be added as noise. if I use the +selection tool giving me either noises results or bleeding color corrections, even working the blur and in/out matte controls don't seem to work very well. Grading 5k dragon footage. I've used resolve since v9 and watched over 50hrs of tutorials and no one seems to touch on this. As a matter of fact watching someone qualify a shirt very close to the subjects skin tone with two clicks drove me here after much yelling at the screen . Can someone point me in the right direction.

I have often found good results by editing the selection (using hight contrast b/w mode so I can really see what I'm getting and then manually testing the result of one by one adjusting high and low end of H, S and L to see what it takes to make my selection more complete without also selecting stuff outside my interst. It is a bit tedious, but by looking at what is not included I get an idea whether to try adjusting say the low end of level, or whatever.

Comment

i use a mappable color and transport surface, XKeys and macro's and that lot makes this task much faster... but here's what i have as my starting point;

i have six macro's for color keys mapped to my XKeys, and shadows / mids / highlights luma keyers maped to Xkeys as well, but i'll use the RED KEY as a sample

whne i press the RED KEY button on my XKeys the macro triggers;
      - highlights on
      - trigger color/presets/six vector red (this sets the Ui to keyer/hsl automaticaly)
      - soft = 30
      - clean white = 70
      - end macro

- then adjust center and softness, these are on knobs so it's easy to tweak while keeping your eyes on the broadcast mon
      - then see what else needs some love

the keyer is not great, but it's plenty good enough for my use while gradeing, if i need more i turn on Fusion or send the shot to VFX and keep on makeing pretty pictures

on the subject of usefull keyer macro's i laso have one that kicks on the highlights luma, re-sets sat, and triggers auto color to give me a one button auto hgihlights, a fast way of cleaning up sky's
      Last edited by dermot shane; 08-23-2016, 09:17 PM.

Comment

A parallel node often helps with keying
        Blog: http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Jaydubya05 View Post
          Say I'm selecting an peach shirt with slight color/ luminance variations in my frame, even if I use a power window for just the shirt( which is a pain and I loath tracking,key framing an the like) I still get poor selections.
          Try the 3D keyer instead. It's better suited to what you want to do.

Comment

Working...
          X